Update.
...Nearly a year and a half later.
In case anyone is still interested in this thread, I thought I'd post an update. Also, who knows, in the future someone else may buy a Public Vessel and run into the same situation I have...and if that is the case...I pity you already.
Since the early stages of having to wade through the bureaucratic morass that is the National Vessel Documentation Center, this is where I am now...I have failed at every turn to convince anyone with any degree of authority that the vessel I purchased from the State of California...the one with the CA issued Certificate of Number and Undocumented Vessel Certificate of Ownership listing Campbell Yachts as the builder...was actually built by Campbell Yachts in California. To say it has been an uphill battle would be very much an understatement.
As a few in this thread have pointed out, a recreational vessel need not be documented. I guess I was not clear enough from the start that I have no interest in making her a recreational vessel, that would be an incredible waste of potential imo...but as the song goes, ..."I get knocked down, and I get up again..." It seems that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE actually pontificated that one day, there may be a vessel that WAS ACTUALLY BUILT in the US...that for whatever good reason, couldn't meet the stringent and inflexible requirements for proof by the USCG NVDC.
And so they wrote 46 CFR 67.101
46 CFR § 67.101 - Waiver of evidence of build. § 67.101 Waiver of evidence of build. (a) A vessel owner applying for documentation unable to obtain the evidence of build required by § 67.99 may apply for a waiver of that requirement to the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center.
It goes on to say that a) The request must be in writing to the director of the NVDC, b) Must state why the requirements of the Evidence of Build Certificate can not be met, and 3) Must include persuasive and compelling evidence. So...I did all that.
And nothing. Well...not nothing, next to nothing. They wrote back and actually told me they couldn't grant the waiver because the evidence I provided wasn't from a person "having personal knowledge because they built or supervised the build..." I pointed out to them that that is not a requirement for a waiver under 67.101 but rather a requirement for 67.99 and that they should know that if it is their job to review such petitions...I would like to point out at this time that in my waiver application I included everything I could think of that pointed to the vessel being built in CA...including photos of what is quite obviously the vessel nearing completion in the boatyard, almost ready for launch on a trailer being towed by truck with a CA license plate of the period, a page from Motorboating & Sailing Magazine January 1975 showing a listing of a 56' twin engine trawler WITH a lines drawing in profile that matches exactly the profile of my vessel, a publication by the CADWR called: Research Vessel San Carlos describing her construction and operation...and about 20 other documents basically listing Campbell Yachts of Santa Ana, CA as her builder.
I told them that if they were denying my application for a waiver then I wanted to appeal that decision.
And low and behold...they balked. I got an email from someone at NVDC actually asking me for more information...more proof. Well, believe it or not, I actually see this as a good sign. They haven't YET denied my waiver request and they are at least now willing to listen to me instead of dismissing me offhand.
One avenue I have not yet explored is attempting to track the main engines back from the manufacturer to the local distributor and then to Campbell Yachts...I know it's a long shot, but in the end...I know the boat was built in CA, the state of CA knows the boat was built in CA...the boat WAS built in CA. Eventually, I hope, NVDC will run out of hoops for me to jump through and I'll be able to get her documented and move on. Until then...
I get knocked down, and I get up again...no, you're never gonna keep me down...
SG