Tabs are very handy to compensate for windage. I couldn't live without them, on my single engine outboard boat at all speeds. If the boat has a lot of warp it will lean over very easily into wind and I don't know any other way to correct it?
To install this app on your iPhone:
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Tabs are very handy to compensate for windage. I couldn't live without them, on my single engine outboard boat at all speeds. If the boat has a lot of warp it will lean over very easily into wind and I don't know any other way to correct it?
A lot of warp ?![]()
Trim tabs correct design issues with boats besides load balancing. But if your boat is loaded right you should not need them, they waste a little power. Sometimes cg, or engine placement is wrong, resist the temptation to just fix it with tabs.
Apologies I mean sharp deadrise forward. Although every power boat I ever driven leans into the wind when it's on a side or quarter. Thus making a harder ride.
I doubt any designer knowlingly builds in design issues. Yet he might compromise speed for stability at rest or ride quality over speed for example.
That aside, I can't understand how a single engined offshore boat can not behave differently when driving from point a to point b, if point a was north and point b was south and there was a westerly wind over ride, when I turn round and run b to a, I can't change design or load balancing much (shift some people maybe) but the ride will be different. I'm not a designer though, just a boat driver. Trim tabs are essential to maintain speed and comfort offshore to me, although I am Aware thy add weight and drag.
A twin engine is obviously different such as OP as trim can be controlled by engines individually.
This is no great mystery. I comes about because the centre of lateral resistance of the immersed portion of the boat, is further aft than the centre of lateral resistance (air) of the rest of your boat. That produces a turning couple in a cross-wind, which you then compensate for by use of the helm. With an outboard motor, this puts the line of thrust off-centre, and introduces heel, much as a normal turn heels the boat. You can easily verify this by looking at where the engine is pointing, when the lean is evident, it will not be straight ahead. Trim tabs largely solves the problem, as you mentioned. Boats with a lot of deadrise, combined with high structure forward, are most prone to cross-wind lean.
.
I have never seen winds having such a significant effect on a boat underway and at higher speeds as to require corrective trim.
Gtflash, what boats have you been in the heel into the wind? Your statement :
" every power boat I ever driven leans into the wind when it's on a side or quarter. Thus making a harder ride."