Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Community > Open Discussion: All Things Boats & Boating
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 AM

Rep: 1173 Posts: 4,758
By understanding how the world works and how to avoid trouble, guns are not needed.

Perhaps in the US things arent so easy to understand , but I find the world I that know to be logical and safer without guns.

And since this is a boat site, I say dont bring guns on boats.

For boats heading to the Carribean or South America you stay safe by using the two day rule. Never spend more than two days in an insecure location. On day one the bad guy sees you, on day two the bad guy plans his attack and on day three he gets you.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 AM

Rep: 799 Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael pierzga View Post
By understanding how the world works and how to avoid trouble, guns are not needed.

Perhaps in the US things arent so easy to understand , but I find the world I that know to be logical and safer without guns.

For boats heading to the Carribean or South America you stay safe by using the two day rule. Never spend more than two days in an insecure location. On day one the bad guy sees you, on day two the bad guy plans his attack and on day three he gets you.
Hadn't heard that rule. Makes sense. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 AM

Rep: 1173 Posts: 4,758
A commercial port is always safe. The only crooks are the police and they only want to extort money...not kill you. Once , sailing east out of the Panama canal I put into Santa Marta Columbia to seek shelter. Bad neighborhood. Port police got passports, ships papers ect and needed 10 grand to find them again. Be sure you have photo copies of all documents so that you can hightail it outta town at sunset to avoid extortion .
When visiting unknown or exposed places I prefer commercial ports, alongside the local fishing boats. They smell like dead sardines and be careful with rats , but they protect you with local knowledge...not guns
Old 02-14-2012, 03:50 AM

Rep: 2050 Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael pierzga View Post

That's a sensible observation, and very good advice. Not the part about 'don't bring guns on boats,' but the two day rule. As someone who spent most of his life in construction, I realized a long time ago that my tools and material were fairly safe the first night on a job site, iffy on the second -- and almost guaranteed to be gone the third night, if I didn't take precautions.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBuilder View Post
I would agree. Also, in a boat, quarters are much closer than they are in a house, which is why I use this 12 ga pump action shotgun:

The shortened barrel allows you to quickly bring it around from one target to the next in very small areas. It holds 6 rounds and you can get them off pretty quickly with the pump action. Perfect for intruders on a boat. I kind of picked up on it by looking at what the police and military use in close quarters. These are weapons of choice for them (though maybe not the brand).

The benefits are:

*Easy to swing in a boat
*6 shell 12 ga magazine
*Doesn't rust up (special coating and seals in a bag)
*Not like a rifle or other high velocity projectile - unlikely to hit other boats when you are using it inside your own boat
*Very likely to kill on any direct hit
*Many types of ammunition available
*Reasonable cost

Great idea but if the boarders are already in the boat your a bit late to start playing Rambo dont you think, and you think they stand still so you can just shoot them.

Some posts sometimes really brings out the person.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Great idea but if the boarders are already in the boat your a bit late to start playing Rambo dont you think, and you think they stand still so you can just shoot them.

Yes, posts do really bring out the person. I have seen a lot of personality in yours.

However, I will not share my complete security plan on the internet. You will have to break into my boat (or rv while I'm building the new one) to find out all the details of it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Rep: 1324 Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobarnacle View Post
Hadn't heard that rule. Makes sense. Thanks!

Ditto
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Rep: 2050 Posts: 1,713
Quote:

Umm... people don't have to be standing still when you shoot them -- especially with a shotgun. They just need to be in front of you.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Rep: 799 Posts: 1,298
I think I recall Cat saying elsewhere, he'd wait in the cabin and catch them coming down the companion way.
Plan has 2 advantages. One they can't dodge.
Two, you're cutting them in two at level of the groin. This is important in case of mistaken friend for intruder. If they were bringing a bottle to share with you, it's likely the bottle will be spared.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Previous Member

Actually, I lock up completely every night. When you hear the break in, you get ready. Yo let my big tactic out of the bag, but it doesn't even matter if the boarders that broke in know the plan or not.

There is only one path to my wife and I and that path involves multiple blind corners. I think I could handle multiple intruders this way. Just keep it aimed at the only point of ingress, which is a blind corner while coming down some stairs. Once the first guy around the corner meets the gun pictured above, the next around the corner will either leave, or meet the same fate.

I use a powerful weapon with a "blind funnel" entrance.

Only one guy can get through at a time and it takes a while (and is noisey) to break into a boat.

I can see how land people might not understand just how air tight my setup is, but people who live on boats will.

I do the same in my rv. There is only 1 way in and a blind corner. Good luck to the intruder around that blind corner.

In both instances the intruder is also climbing up or down something at the point I get my shot.

Very effective. I guess it doesn't matter if this is on the internet since you can't circumvent my security plan anyway.

There are no mistaken targets because anyone who breaks into the boat is going to be killed.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Previous Member

If the boarders are on the boat already and you think you will be below discussing the weather? Your already dead.

No No if they get to tie up your already dead.

That pistol grip shot gun pump will likely not have 3 inch magnum chambers or it will break your wrist. If you do not have 3 inch chambers then just hope your boarded by ducks.

Sawing off the barrel will just increase spread. Why need that in the confinements of a small room like a boat. You will just make them angry, you cant kill with a 6 shot unless you ask them to open their mouth-Errr even then not sure.

Where is this gun going to come from ? your trousers, Im quite sure they will have a few pointing at your head.

Your dreaming.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Previous Member

Dont Need Guns
Dont Need Drugs Either !!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Rep: 627 Posts: 1,164
[quote=CatBuilder;529405]

That has, literally, nothing to do with my comments on American culture. You are talking about politics. I'm talking about culture. You don't understand it because you're Canadian.
I understand it..and I hear it all the time despite witnessing the opposite

Despite the culture of being "independant" and such,at the end of the day the people rely on the police,social services,similarly as other nations...which is my point.

Not in the same way. In the "rest of the world", the government is there to help you. It is your friendly old grandmother there to pay for your health care, your college tuition, your maternity leave, etc... It is... basically... there to improve the lives of the citizens. This is NOT what we are taught in the USA. Again, this is a *cultural* difference, but you are trying to paint it with politics.
The US spends more vs a vis GDP on health care than any other nation in the world,and IIRC to the tune of $7 billion on post secondary education,etc .
How about last week the multi multi $billion Govt program to help people with their mortgages?
So despite being taught the US government is NOT there to improve your life or help you...it really is.

There are 311 million people in the USA on the census. There is some variation in our culture. There are a very few who are on welfare, but many of those are due to unemployment at this time.

47% of the population receives one or more benefits from the government.
21 million households ~ 50 million people are reliant on food stamps.
In 2011 social welfare benefits make up 35% of wages.
The welfare rates have always been very similar to the rest of the world,though have gone up in recent times of course.

Still, they are taught the same way I was taught, no matter if the teachings took root or not. Remember... culture... not politics. All of our other subsidies you mention are to screw over other countries and to make big profits for big business. I have no problem. They are not in place to benefit any citizen. I do, however, enjoy the navigation subsidy in the GPS system as do all of you, even non-Americans.
So you don't benefit from having the cheapest food and gas in the western world...via subsidies??

Talk? Maybe. A strong belief? Absolutely. It doesn't matter if it's all "talk" or not, it's what the culture teaches us. You keep on missing that point. Culture.
I do get it.So how is the feeling about accepting everything that they have been taught is bad? Or is it just ignored?

Ok, this one is really out there. How is my boat building project in any way subsidized?T
If there is indeed a US boat building subsidy I can apply for, could you please send me the link? I would really love to get a financial break on this project that I'm doing all on my own (with the wife's help of course).

I looked into investing into building windmills here-fibreglass/carbon blades-a no go due to lack of subsidies. So I looked in the US,was opportunities due to general industrial subsidies for the base products (fiberglass,epoxies) and the labour,however the success of the businesses depended on exporting to Europe,and the EU would not allow them due to the subsidies.

I also looked into investing into a yacht business a few years back,selling new boats into the EU (the exchange rate was downright sexy) and (IIRC) was a 30% tarriff on new US boats into the EU to make up for the home subsidies.Made it a no win situation.
Subsidies also include a lack of taxes and over generous writeoffs for the producing companies and suppliers,and direct cash payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBuilder View Post
[
There are a lot of problems here, just like in any country. More problems than .... Canada too.

The federal deficit- for the first time in 14 years- quite ticked me off.

Anyways..guns.

I prefer pump shotguns while in the boat....at a certain range bears learn that boats are bad thing to be swimming on to.

Same thing with the wolves..idiots feed them,so when they get accustomed to people and aggressively demanding food,some other idiot complains and the wildlife service has to shoot them.

You should never or rarely see wolves,so whenever I see ones that are not scared,to save them I pepper their asses any chance I get.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
If the boarders are on the boat already and you think you will be below discussing the weather? Your already dead.

No No if they get to tie up your already dead.

That pistol grip shot gun pump will likely not have 3 inch magnum chambers or it will break your wrist. If you do not have 3 inch chambers then just hope your boarded by ducks.

Sawing off the barrel will just increase spread. Why need that in the confinements of a small room like a boat. You will just make them angry, you cant kill with a 6 shot unless you ask them to open their mouth-Errr even then not sure.

Where is this gun going to come from ? your trousers, Im quite sure they will have a few pointing at your head.

Your dreaming.
Obviously, you know nothing about boats, security,guns or infusions for that matter. The wealth of ignorance is astounding.
What, do you think I'm just daydreaming? That I don't fire the shotgun in my picture on a regular basis?

Are you picturing a rowboat? A dinghy? Or are you just a troll?

Why don't you come break into my rv or boat and show me where the flaw in the security plan is? Bring as many friends as you'd like, but not more than 6.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Previous Member

Frosty, here is a picture I just took of some rounds I regularly fire from that gun. Maybe they would break *your* wrists. LOL

These rounds only have stopping power for ducks, huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Hand Gun choice for protection-imag0505.jpg  
Closed Thread