My new baby! 6.8 Meter fiber over wood fishing boat !

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vulkyn, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

There is no such thing :D .... everything will sink given the right conditions ...

SOOO back to marinizing engines !!!!

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thanks for the links, very informative i wasnt aware that there where so many differences between marine and car variants (kinda makes sense considering the huge difference in price ...)
    Kinda scares me into taking a trip in Egyptian Marnazied engines. .. should i open them up im sure all sorts of disasters are lurking around waiting to happen :S

3. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I have started preparing a place to build a small 4.5 meter boat as a trail and learning experience for me.

I want to build the boat myself (this is another project besides the boat being built in the yard the shoteya which is is now awaiting my inspection after the fiberglass was laid out).
    I have viewed several designs and want to take a decision on which construction method to build.

There is marine plywood available in Egypt so stitch and glue is an option, however strip planking is cheaper (due to excessive price for marine plywood around 150$ per sheet normal grade) but so far i havent found a simple design that is user friendly and can be started by a nooby like myself with detailed instruction for another methods like strip planking or one-off fiberglass mold.

So what would you recommend as my first project to some one with little wood experience ?
    Maybe lobster 15 boat? or is that to advanced?
    http://www.selway-fisher.com/Mcup16.htm.

4. Questor

Questor Senior Member

If I had the opportunity I would skip the modern marine plywood and fibreglass . I'd rather go to the poor fisherman's boatyard and learn the skills of producing hand formed lumber and more traditional craft.A few years ago I read an article about a fellow that travels the world. Wherever he goes he purchases hand made traditional boats.In Turkey he bought a new 24 foot fishing boat comparable to our enclosed lobster boats for $1500. In most countries his new liveaboard vessels cost under $1500.

I find the concept of exploring the world from within historic crafts to be quite fascinating. Demonstrating an ability to work with authentic historic crafts would also turn more heads than basic plywood and fiber glass.

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I will post some pictures of my trips to traditional yards.
    Unfortunately due to current situation i do not have the ability to travel and stay at those yards (the closest to me is a good 280 KM away in Alex).
    Also the techniques used there is not as par to the quality level i had hoped for.

I honestly want to get my life sorted then do exactly that across the world or where i can learn from the high quality yards!! But for the time being ill have to settle for a small trial of my own and hopefully build something i can be proud off.

I have spent a good 3-4 month learning and unless i start working with my hands what little i've learned will evaporate out of my mind ... ;)

6. Questor

Questor Senior Member

I suppose a modern intellectual would look out of place in the bullrush and tar style crafts of Joshebed.

7. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I dont understand what you mean:confused: :confused:

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Practice what you have learned by building a small table-top model of one of your boats before you build it full size. It will sharpen your skills and bring any design flaws to light to help you solve them. It will be fun. Start with the 2 favorite designs and build both. One for each cat.

9. Questor

Questor Senior Member

I sensed a mystery or double entendre in the phrase," An Egyptian Beginner in Boatbuilding ". The earliest Egyptian Boatbuilder I could think of was Joshebed the Mother of Moses. Joshebed is translated as " Yahweh is Glory ". Joshebed's boat building style was tar over bullrushes. Exposure to sticky tar could be hard on the appearance of a fashionably dressed and immaculately clean modern intellectual.

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

So i buy the online plan and scale down ? and by cat. do u mean one stitch and glue and one epoxy?

Btw thats a good idea :D why didnt i think of that?

11. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Who's the modern intellectual again ? :p

12. hoytedow

By cat I mean feline. Meow. You have 2 little boat cats, do you not?

You can practice different methods on the hulls. Why not?

13. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Oh the cats from the other post !!

Sorry i have a fever and im ill so my brain functions have decreased from my normal operation (which wasnt high enough anyways) ....

So yah ill buy a plan and try to scale it down ......

14. hoytedow

If you start with a small open boat it will serve very nicely as a fruit or nut dish for your coffee table.

15. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

No way ill fit my RC fuel motor engine to it, fit receiver with servos, hook it up and have me a nice RC boat .... wife can buy dishes for that ...

SO Im guessing scaling down is not a problem ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.