Spindrift team Jules Verne Trophy record attempt

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Oh no!!!!
    -----------------------------
    Don't get why they have to quit when one of three rudders is down? Maserati won her second to last race w/o her stb ama rudder......
    Rolex Middle Sea Race:
    DAMAGES ABOARD MASERATI MULTI 70 WHILE APPROACHING SICILY. SOLDINI: “WE KEEP GOING”

October 20, 2018

A few hours after the start (15:30 local, 13:30 UTC) Giovanni Soldini and Maserati Multi 70‘s team were busy in a tack race with their rival PowerPlay approaching Capo Passero, the extreme southeastern point of Sicily.

The Italian crew encountered a technical problem with the main sheet’s hydraulic piston. The oil that lubricates the system slowly dropped in the air chamber and the crew wasn’t able to haul in the mainsail. “We emptied the air chamber” explains Giovanni Soldini. “The downside is that the mainsheet is slower to ease and it can be more dangerous sometimes so we will have to be more careful.”

An hour later, the right-side rudder’s fitting broke. “We still don’t know how it happened, we don’t think it was because of an impact, we are now looking into the causes” commented the skipper.

In spite of the damage, Maserati Multi 70 is still slightly in advantage over PowerPlay. “Without the rudder we will surely have many problems sailing port tack, but we keep going and we will do our best!”

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It looks like Spindrift2 will stop off at Fremantle for repairs. Nice opportunity for anyone in WA to check out this trimaran powerhouse. I'm tempted to fly over and have a look myself given that it's a rare occurrence for a French racing trimaran to pull into our country.

3. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

In case of, you can contact them through this link, in the fr version of the site but of course you can put an English message :
    https://www.spindrift-racing.com/fr/contact

Corley likes this.
  4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dolfiman, thanks for the contact info!
    Sent to Spindrift 3pm, 2/2/19:

Sorry for your trouble! I'm curious why the boat can't be sailed/raced with two out of three rudders? Best of luck in the future!

Doug

5. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Adelaide, eeeuuw ! big mistake,
    I thought the French liked coffee.

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

No, still WA I think looking at their track. I can't think there would be much in the way of suitable docking facilities South of Fremantle for a boat of this type?

8. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Fremantle should be able to handle it, if not the marine precinct at Henderson a few k to the south would be the go.
    That’s where Austal ships is etc.
    If they come here I’m definitely taking a day off for a look ! Best thing since Sir Peter Blake rocked up on Steinlager !

9. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

10. OzFred

OzFred Senior Member

Albany? Esperance? A little remote though. I think there are a few places to dock, repair facilities and creature comforts might be another matter. Even Bunbury is a pleasant enough spot for a few days and away from the glare of a major capital if that's what they want. :)

Once the record is off, no doubt they'll just pick the best place to drop in within reasonable distance.

Given they were barely 1/3 distance of a very long voyage with 20 to 25 days left to go, it's difficult to fault the decision. Another incident that took out the port rudder would leave them seriously disabled.

11. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Dolfiman.
    The most popular cafe in Fremantle is Ginos. You work it out.
    Big Italian population.

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Looks like they will arrive on Wednesday. I gather they will hire RIB's locally to help get the boat into it's dock as it has no engine to maneuver with.

13. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Great ! I look to Gino's story, that is exactly in line with my previous comment.
    Gino's Story https://www.ginoscafe.com.au/ginos-story/
    The french equivalent, when abroad, is "I want to open a bakery" :)

14. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

We have a lot of Vietnamese bakers who learnt from the French.

15. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.