Repowering this thing.....from I/O to outboard....

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Devildriver, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Devildriver

Devildriver Junior Member

Yup I know whatcha mean!!

I was getting new cables for the boat at work today and was talking to the guy about what I was planning on and he had a bracket with platform out back. He wasn't sure of the price but said it was custom built and had a 225 4-stroke hanging off of it, and the weight was stress cracking the transom so they ordered a different bracket for whoever. It didn't seem too heavy, but it has a 2" curve (center to edges) so I gotta see if it'll match my transom.

I have some pics on my cell phone but don't know what to do with them!!

2. Devildriver

Hopefully these came out ok......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too bad!! My major concern is the stress cracking of the transom it was on, the curve (which can be dealt with) and dunno if the price of it will outweigh buying a new one with a platform for $1300....

3. Devildriver

and the angle and straightness of transom.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

what an unsightly piece of crap ..bad design thats why it broke his boat ,,,a simple laminated support like I have drawn for you is all you need ....not much progress on stripping out the back of the boat then I see ..getting it under cover and dry...transom angle looks good but check its 15 deg

As far as I know No job has ever been finished before it was started ...

5. Devildriver

Ugh tell me about it....This thing is in the garage and needs to some work before I can drag the boat in. I'm putting in a new radiator support, cab corner, body mounts and a bodylift, then undercoating every nook and cranny to keep it form rusting some more....But it's the tow rig for the boat!!

And I like the idea of a swim platform, because I don't fish much, the boats too shallow for me too be comfortable to take it to the ocean, and its general use will be for skiing, tubing, wakeboarding, and general effing off in the local lakes (13 off 'em right in the town limits!!) I wanna get a motor, probably make a mount like you describe, test it out in good shape, then on a later date go with a platform mount.....but first I gotta fill the hole, support the transom, etc, etc, ETC!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanna repaint it purple, and paint the boat to match, but that's a looonnnnngggg way off.....too many projects and not enough time!! Or money....

6. offshoreonly

offshoreonly Junior Member

I did not notice where anyone really mentioned it, but your transom and stringers are rotten. You need to remove all the wood and start over. It really looks like that boat will need a full rebuild. If you dont rebuild that transom, you are wasting your time and money adding a bracket and engine. That bracket is similar to an armstrong or stainless marine and has had platforms added to it. You could cut them off and build new ones with out too much trouble.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.