prop shrouds

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waterwar, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

The Voices in your head are leading you astray!

Some of you are very amusing I'll grant you that.

cheers
    The classic Spy vs.Spy cartoon was a byproduct of the Cold War mentality.

Attached Files:

• Spy.jpg
      Spy.jpg
      File size:
      9.5 KB
      Views:
    • spy2.jpg
      spy2.jpg
      File size:
      8.1 KB
      Views:
    • spy3.jpg
      spy3.jpg
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
  2. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Obviously he's finally lost his senses completely, or else the poor boy has left his meds back in the British Isles in his rush to get thawed out down south.:p

Attached Files:

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

"More manatees died in Florida in 2010 than in any other year since record-keeping began in the ’70s, and officials blame the unusual cold. Statistics released this week by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission show 767 deaths, with 279 tied to “cold stress.” should we be knitting mittens for these poor defenseless little creatures?

Attached Files:

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It's warm here. I'm staying for a few weeks before moving back to the USA.
    Scunthrop: what is the percentage of deaths caused by propellers; do you know?

6. hoytedow

Lots of Nova Scotia license plates in my neighbourhood this winter. How many of them are driving boats I wonder?

7. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

8. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

You are very correct, prop shrouds would not reduce deaths or injuries to anyone that is hit by a speeding boat. Blunt force trauma is responsible for the majority of boating collision deaths: human or otherwise.Many more swimmers,divers,and children are injured coming on a boat of off of sharp propeller blades.These type of accident scenario also can be very serious and far more frequent than any 'reported incident'. Remember that serious injury has to occur before any statistics are generated. Do you not agree?
    One of the more horrific boating accidents is becoming far more frequent in Florida's. These tragically occur when a speeding boat goes over another hapless boat.
    the high speed prop functions more like.... well you can imagine its not pretty!

It is commonly recognized that the reported injuries is virtually the .tip of the Ice berg' the total amount of injuries that can be attributed to bare propeller system.
    I'm not sure if mittens is the proper reference for flipper shrouds but I'll check to see if we have enough to go around. You certainly have a fine sense of humor. That invariably relates to a very high intellect and is always a welcome post to this thread! As indeed as are all thanked for participating in what ever fashion they can choose!;)

:idea: All are welcome come to the light!:idea:
    Thanks again for your effort to organize this fine board that has arisen to the challenge! donating time and 'nylon'? to knit 'shroud cover type mittens, in these hard times most would give anything to help!

My regards sir a fine post! Sharing of real knowledge and accurate information is a real plus!:cool:;)

* please let me field the mitten offer to the 'Save a Manatee's Friend and Club a Baby Seal Hunter for Lunch Bunch'' They don't think out of the box too well! bunch they sometimes don't seem to fit in! If you know what I mean

Attached Files:

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you have any numbers and sources to back up those claims? I would like to check them out.

10. hoytedow

11. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Sometimes nothing helps,others present scenarios that are very frequent!.For instance I may place a poll and ask how many grand kids friends people you personally know who have blooded themselves on a bare prop accidentally.
    Unfortunately as we all note very few of these incidents are reported.The statistical data base available therefore is totally lacking in accounting this very frequent accidental injury.

Plus, as was so poignantly pointed out by our Swedish friend in a prior post: (sorry I am in a hurry as usual:p.forgive me for not mentioning by you by your proper 'handle' sir,(later..)

Most of the friends'propellers are nicked and in 'poor' performance shape as per the norm!
    He notes a possible advantage to the widespread use of 'partially shrouded devices does he not? Most recreational craft owners(not the Big dogs admittedly) would maintain their 'tuned' prop performance speed much longer and relatively of free of standard prop down time to work on it?
    Not withstanding that damned turtle grass so common in estuary waters and inshore. In other words don't plow through grass beds and you won't clog the damn device up with weeds?

Florida's crowded waters are so bad in heavily fished dived,snorkeling hot spots its crazy out there?

cheers

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Once more, do you have any data to support your claims? For example, any study showing that so little accidents get reported.

13. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Thank you very much for your excellent post sir.
    I do not have the time :unfortunately right now but I will 'properly address that request for supporting documentation. I will do have to tell you for the reasons in the above post that the incident data reported is 'tip of the iceberg'. Would that you be so patient

on a different direction..

Thanks to Scundie!
    You have proven to be real asset!
    I spread your idea among my pinko commie ,animal loving contacts and behold the old enemies from the Cold War have sent help!
    I now have a gift card (Wally World is everywhere)for 1 million fur lined Russian army hats for the manatees. The Chinese,never to be shown up by their compatriots,have requested head sizes as well and are sending 5 container ships full of cone style head shrouds. Hong Kong's doing the processing as we speak.

14. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

668 manatees have died this year to date and 244 of those deaths were attributed to cold stress. 65 manatees were killed by watercraft according to the same FWC statistics. These numbers account for all Florida counties. The truth is most experts don’t know why they are all dying. Jokes aside I think the whole "prop shroud thing" is a crock of **** and old water wings needs some kind of professional help. Perhaps his countrymen could persuade him from sounding like a retard and being such an ***. Remember Freedom of speech is only valid if you have something worth saying.

http://www.thepiratescove.us/2010/1...recedented-numbers-thanks-to-ghg-caused-cold/

15. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Gonzo Sir I have dived and boated in two oceans ; from the sunny warm waters of Florida to kelp treacherous waters in cold California waters. I have seen many prop injuries and done it myself,not on purpose I assure you
    A Friend who owns a large dive boat out of Key West(A fine orthopedic surgeon I am personally grateful for his expertise) has had many incidents of propeller injuries.
    Even in a parking lot a bare prop is 'hungry'.I have actually seen children do it just wanting to feel the prop.
    Kids do the stupid things, do they not?
    Its a legitimate safety for all who bleed issue.
    Not all use their propeller driven platforms for ultimate speed like the Navies, who defend their respective waters. Race boats would likely not be the best application.
    Here's research for you.
    What's the percentage of race boats to the multitude of pleasure craft?

cheers
    Stew

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.