prop shrouds

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waterwar, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

In actual fact, I repeat the question and expand on it...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

I would still like to have some solution that works well. I have an old outboard OMC and light orlando clipper v hull and don't want to lose speed or performance.

.Threads are allowed to evolve, go look that up now.
    Propeller Shrouding works well look at the boat again as it dives! No grapes to watermelons: draft of surface vessels can be a limiting factor.Submarines have no such limitations for wheel size except for stream lining restrictions. Pump jet propulsion seems to used on most modern submarines. A simple bolt on prop guard can retrofit most recreational sized boats quite easily.Its no pump jet but a partial shroud. But it will keep a propeller from the common performance nicks and damage that routine occurrence in normal operation of pleasure craft. I realized that asking for an evaluation of an unpopular device was going to difficult.....

http://wn.com/Spearfish_torpedo

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I like that waterwar can't just post and wait for a response. He seems to work himself up, walk back to the keyboard, and write more self-pitying nonsense. It is amusing though.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Yes, all of us are perfect. Let us find the flawed one and stone him. :rolleyes:

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ouch! That hurts! Stop it, guys! I didn't mean it! Ouch! Oof! I'm outta here!

6. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Hi bet you missed me

Responsibility
    I am responsible for posting some rather disturbing information on weapon systems, and I make no excuses. In this accelerated age of communication the state of the art is happening everyday.
    Anything that can be accessed by a simple person like my self was probably done countless times by someone else. Military secrets are inaccessible except when they are no longer secret.
    Propulsion underwater is a prime example of this; changes occur and are met. That response is a military secret. Rest assured that the Free world is deployed at present. Many candidates were on the ‘board’ years ago. Cannons as one of many delivery systems possible employing exactly same ‘new’ principle. Have faith in the free world! Send Emails to complain about the Germans for selling fuel cell tech to the Chinese for their diesel - electric subs, not to me (actual transfer of forbidden technology).

I only wanted to get and use the best type propeller guard I could get
    I know this sounds corny! But some very fine members of this board, professionals apparently have had a hand in the design of some underwater weapons.These men worked in secret and resent the facts I found on the internet. Many of these weapon platforms are still deployed, but none more deadly than the fine torpedoes that run silent run deep with huge explosive capacity with no warning.
    * Pictured below: 2 Stingray launches, a MK 54 and the USN fleet torpedoes chart and the RFS Dmitry Donskoy (TK-208) is a Russian Navy nuclear ballistic missile boat (Typhoon class)
    USN Virginia Attack Boat.(pump jet driven) it replaces the older, larger Los Angeles Class.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZ6zCL38ic
    In this 'fox and hounds hunt' (during the cold war) the largest fox was the huge 600ft Dmitry Donskoy. .The prize target of the American hounds (attack boats).Only one of these giants was made operational.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlp1lUWqRYI&feature=fvwrel Dmitry Donskoy (TK-208)

Attached Files:

7. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

That's the only reason you are here as is everyone: to be amused.
    Meanwhile Life marches onward. But I have questions as to the validity of the anti shroud position but I am no expert. Stew

8. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

9. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Thank you for meaningful imput.

No, I just don't want to chop the kids up! Go figure....

This is a smart true professional.

This is the topic sink or swim!

I am not in this for profit or for gain, Lets be clear on this point I am in no way or affiliated with any manufacturer!

Spoken like a true professional

"What we do for love goes beyond good and evil" Friedrich Nietzsche

I broke a Taboo something that would actually save lives: human and animal....

What's the problem with a real topic?

10. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

sub tommy

'If you can't make cents'

How about some Change then?
    OOOOh that would bad right?

Lake Powell solution for large inboard by an independent boater...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f08CLcK8TM

Sign the Petition Here:
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/10/save-the-manatee

As one can see there are many different designs out there to 'guard' a propeller
    I came to this board not to play point games. Games are for children to play!
    Try to act like an adult on your side of the computer.
    Thanks again to the Professionals who aided in selection of one of thes 'bubble machines' that seem to at least be more efficient and durable (high impact plastic) than then metal ones.For instance the wire cage affairs are presumably true bubble machines I assume? but I guess it would waste of time for an educated opinion?

I am not qualified to do such. The highly skilled and competent architects of weapons are experts in propellers, as was quite evident in their posts. They have done an excellent job shown by the modern weapons deployed . Their imput to analyze this propeller guard is admirable
    Such fine detailed, intelligent one. That is rare these days to find such a resource for free.... Tommy
    Cheers and top of the Morn to you too!
    Stewart
    https://sites.google.com/site/preservethemanatees/
    * Propguard is represented below first as yellow version.the very last is a red one (smaller), run 100 to 200$. High impact resistant Plastic.
    While the sixth candidate below runs 550 to 600$ depending if you want it painted... jeez? Metal has disadvantages sometimes....
    A lot of money for wire cage! IMHO a bubble machine?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/10/save-the-manatee/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  11. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Here's just one of the professionals his expertise and experience is evident to all. Notice his interest in 'rings' ,funny thing guys my dad was in the 'loop' too.
    I always wondered about the rings too, my learned engineer friend, everyday as I look at the Mk 48 torpedo (aluminum model) given to my late father for his contribution to the 'fish's' development.

12. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Rules of engagement have been determined; tommy
    The kindly and all so wise :)webmaster has removed some posts.on his own behest, others at mine.
    regards
    stew
    Safety on and below the water is an important issue in a marine environment
    Man Fined, Ordered to Give Up Boat After Killing Manatee
    February 3, 2011
    with Caryn Baird www.tampabay.com

The angler recognized the boat roaring past him in the manatee refuge. It belonged to one of his neighbors in Brevard County. It was going much too fast. Then the boat slammed into a manatee, a collision so violent that the boat jumped out of the water. The manatee's fluke was still sticking up from behind the motor. The manatee thrashed wildly as blood spread across the rippling waves. The boat sped away. The angler, horrified, called the authorities to report what his neighbor had done. It turned out this wasn't the first time he had violated the speed rules.

Now the boat owner, Joseph Miata Jr., has become only the second person in nearly 40 years to be successfully prosecuted for killing a manatee. Miata, 62, of Merritt Island, was sentenced Wednesday to a year of probation and a $600 fine. In addition, he must forfeit his blue and white 1987 Mach One, the boat that struck and killed a manatee that was nursing a calf. Manatee advocates hope that Miata's case--and especially the loss of his boat--will deter other boaters from violating the rules designed to protect manatees from being run over.

"That's bound to get their attention," said Pat Rose, executive director of the Save the Manatee Club.

Miata's prosecution should benefit more than manatees, Rose added: "Somebody like that is not only putting manatees at risk but also putting other boaters at risk." Miata, in a brief conversation with a reporter Wednesday, suggested that his sentence for killing a manatee seemed unfair compared to the sentences handed out to boaters who kill people. But in a subsequent call his attorney, Corey Cohen, said Miata thought the sentence was fair. "He was okay with forfeiting the boat in exchange for getting on probation," Cohen said. The manatee that Miata killed was one of 83 run down by boats last year — down from the record 97 manatees killed by speeding boats in 2009. Since the Endangered Species Act became law in 1973, the only other boater to be successfully prosecuted for killing a manatee was Jimmy Malmsten, a fishing boat captain from Stuart. In 1984, Malmsten's boat accidentally hit a manatee calf. "It looked to me like it was dead," Malmsten later told a federal judge. "I heard it was good eating. I just took a couple chunks out of it." The judge ordered him to pay a $750 fine and sentenced him to six months behind bars, followed by a year of probation. Because Malmsten kept the meat to feed his wife and four children, investigators had the evidence to charge him. Most of the time when manatees are killed by boats, there is little or no physical evidence showing who did the deed or even where it happened. In Miata's case, the key was the eyewitness, said Officer Justin Morgan of the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Miata's crime occurred about 8 p.m. on July 11. His neighbor, identified only as J.P. in federal court papers, said that while his own boat was anchored and he was fishing near Kiwanis Island in the Sykes Canal Manatee Refuge, he saw Miata's boat zoom past and clobber the manatee. J.P. not only reported the incident to the state wildlife agency, but when two investigators — one from the state and one from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service — showed up to interview him, the witness took them out in his boat to show them where it happened.

When the investigators told him he'd killed a manatee, he said he hadn't realized what he had hit before he zoomed away. But Miata's passenger, a relative identified in court papers as K.B., told them that "Miata was aware what had been hit after looking back at the thrashing manatee," the plea agreement says. Special Agent Neil Gardner of the Fish and Wildlife Service said the investigators also knocked on doors around Miata's canal-front neighborhood and "we heard more than an earful about this gentleman and how he operated his boat." Miata pleaded guilty in November to taking an endangered species, a federal misdemeanor. If there's a lesson in his case, his attorney said, it's a simple one: "The lesson is to slow down," Cohen said. "Slow down and follow the law."

Divers and swimmers well know the risk of sharp propellers blades also!
    I have snorkeled and scuba dived for years, I was born in the Keys.
    The terror of close encounters happen everyday for humans and manatees
    . Prop shielding won't stop blunt force trauma to animals or humans
    Please Slow down and respect all warning signs and buoys!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  13. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

This truth is self evident thank you very much for pointing this out!

Attached Files:

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are truly disclosing secret government information as you claim, I guess it is time to report you to the DHS. You are claiming to be a traitor and perhaps a terrorist.

15. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Gonzo, you've moved!

Congratulations.

What's changed then?

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.