OK... would someone explain this to me? ...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Signaleer, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

this thing been for sale on Craiglist before, AND

I corresponded with the owner of Cosmic Muffin.

He said the tanks could be "blow" on an emergency to become flotation.

Whole boat sounded good with a lot of same thoughts I've had about boats, except that it had fixed keel. He said he'd never know a swing keel boat he considered reliable and safe.

I say if they can make supersonic jets with swing wing they can make a safe swing keel, and CAD/CAM is getting cheaper all the time.

He said it would plane pretty good, and I'd want a bigger motor to take advantage of that.

Not the prettiest boat with that big aft structure, but seems practical. On some website it mentioned being dis-masted and towed into port.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Drinking water and fuel (gas for the outboard) is stored in jugs on the Cosmic Muffin, so that must have been the water ballast tanks which were used in the tropics to carry an additional 1,325 litres (350 US gallons) of drinking water for utility purposes.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Angel

3. Signaleer

Signaleer Junior Member

The jugs for water were inside, the fuel was outside, and honestly I wish I would have got it. I could have bought it where it laid, and probably should have. But I wanted a survey and Steve is an interesting cat... He felt more comfortable with someone that wanted to cruise away on it.

I may try to get the plans for it? I spent a night partying on it, and looking it over, I really haven't seen a boat like it.

Now, It didn't have a head... well, it sorta did, its hard to explain, but you pulled some enclosures in the companionway and it had a hand carry head. No shower or basin etc. So that was a trade off, but other than that - it was awesome. I loved the internal high-side water ballasting idea... he actually said he got to the point where he didn't use that feature, save running down waves he'd ballast aft.

If I had the money, I'd rebuild that boat.

So, now, someone teach me how to design a boat and get me to a builder.

4. Angélique

Not a good sign if you can't have a survey, my first car was very cheap but I wasn't allowed to go to a garage to have it on the bridge and inspect the (w)hole bottom (they rot in our country), I bought it anyway and every franc spend was one too much for the car, but it was good learning money . . . . :idea:

New DIY or Pro build 40' Cosmic Muffin, far over US$ 100k is my rough guess . . . .

Specs . . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Angel

5. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

The thing (aftmasted one) shown in photos will sail. Sort of.

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Orca & Relentless

I had not seen this subject thread pop up. Just to clear up some questions that are mostly anwsered on that 'Wishbone' subject thread.

There were two boats built under this concept...one named Relentless (I think the first one of the two), and the second one with a shorter rig of the same type, Orca
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wishbone-sailing-rig-1999-4.html#post146538

The designer was thought to be an aerospace engineer from the northwest (Seattle area), but that has come to questioning.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wishbone-sailing-rig-1999-10.html#post335098

I believe he found the first version a bit overpowered, but some of the details of the staying can be found in these photos.

The owner of the shorter rigged Orca seems quite pleased with his vessel.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wishbone-sailing-rig-1999-5.html#post184406

A more recent buyer of Relentless chopped of an extreme amount of the mast height and installed what amounts to a lateen rig.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wishbone-sailing-rig-1999-4.html#post173000
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wishbone-sailing-rig-1999-4.html#post173305
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wishbone-sailing-rig-1999-7.html#post227695

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wishbone-sailing-rig-1999-8.html#post283505

Overall that wishbone subject thread is quite inclusive on the subject...read it over and contribute if you wish. And be sure to look at this A-frame subject vessel:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wishbone-sailing-rig-1999-11.html#post484935

7. brian eiland

8. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Hello Brian, read through some of your wishbone mast articles & related material. You elude to some potential design issues in mounting these masts (one project encountered cracks on the deck...forgot where I read it). Being outboard and integrated to the gunwales, which are typically not as strong as the keel, I suppose concerns for excessive loading and cracking on the gunwales and/or deck areas is a concern.

In my opinion mounting such a mast would require a special bulkhead or deck fittings to absorb and distribute the loads. Do you have any sketches of how one might mount such a mast? Granted the size of the mast & sail area will determine the actual materials & thickness, but a general approach for mounting them would be good to learn about.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge & enthusiasm on this topic. I find the alternate mast/sail plans very fascinating.

9. brian eiland

A full bulkhead in that area would be the best, but then a good bridging structure between the deck and hull 90 degree form could suffice. I've not looked at it in more detail that I can recall.

You might ask that question of the fellow who built the a-frame rigged "'Catbird Suite' . He seems very willing to share his experiences.

I do recall that Procyon was originally planning to be lowering their wishbone rig around pivot locations at these bases, and decided against the idea...likely because of the BIG leverage loading presented by such a tall rig.

Sorry to be short in reply, but I'm packing to go off to Thailand in a few days.

10. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Why does that aft A-masted boats keel taper so much from

big and fat at the top to relativity small, with no bulb, at the bottom?

It don't think I've every seen one like that.

I guess such a shape would be naturally stronger structurally, but I'd think this "aero space" builder would be able to make an efficient shape like rest of the backyard builders.

11. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Take the rig of it & it might make an interesting sub if you reinforced it in ferro;)

12. Angélique

First pic is from last above quoted link.

[​IMG]

:( . . the pics in the ad looks like she is for sale now with the rig in in this condition . . :(

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

Right . . ! ! !

Cheers,
    Angel

13. Signaleer

Signaleer Junior Member

I'm almost wondering if its worth just making it a sloop at this point....

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well now thats interesting-- Lateen rig as per my post #2 this thread so the old guy still has an eye. :).
    I've been looking over this hull and stirring the grey matter more or less as a stone artist views a new block of granite. If i had this hull what would i do with it, afterall conversions are more or less my cup of tea. Then it hit me--Marco Polo. Not the explorer, nor the big record breaking square rigger built in New Brunswick but Herreshoffs Marco Polo. Yup she'd be perfect-- long-narrow and shallow. The perfect hull for a modern Marco Polo. Ok all you Guys that have been beating the bushes on this forum for an economical retirement cruiser--now's you chance :D (I smile but I am serious, she would fill the bill)

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Singaleer, you'd be foolish to buy this yacht without considerable sailing experience under your belt. There are several reasons for this, but frankly a novice buying an over the top, odd ball in any industry, is just not the wise course to sail.

Before purchase make sure it's surveyed by the most qualified and accredited person you can find. Nut job boats need to be very carefully examined, simply because you haven't a clue what to look for. This is a nightmare just waiting for your money. I've been doing this sort of thing all my live and I wouldn't touch that boat with my ex-wife's cash.

If you do buy it, make sure you have really good bolt cutters, so you can free the boat of the burden of that rig when it comes down. I'm not kidding, really good, very powerful bolt cutters.