Notes on Skene's Elements of Yacht Design

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by boradicus, Jun 5, 2013.

1. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I am with you in the fact that we shouldn't judge harshly all population of a country based on "bad" individuals, stereotypes or even common practices. I met an as$hole american more than once... :)

Hell - when Napster worked everyone able used it. Americans too.

That being said - people here are conscious of copyright as designer themselves are vulnerable to the same problems.

It seems that the book is old enough to be available (see links above) in public domain.

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

the 1st post of this thread had a link to the page with the pdf

her is idrect link

http://ia700400.us.archive.org/26/items/cu31924030752343/cu31924030752343.pdf

And my bad for bringing up the whole copyright issues. I hadn't read the whole thread to know that the book discussed was indeed available like that.

And I guess the "hi Buddy, I need you to send me this" has a not so nice tone but is mostly result of language barriers.

3. qq1004831951

qq1004831951 Junior Member

thanks

i am agreed with you, my English is not good enough too get all your points,but i admit that we ignore the copyright protection in China. i just wanna to read it ,and it is hard to get in CHINA, I need to pay in 200 yuan to buy it. it is not cheap .so i am here to ask help. thanks for your understanding again.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You mean you can't order a book online, pay for it online and have it mailed/shipped to you? That does make things more difficult. Skene's has been out of print for many decades, though as I mentioned, a recent reprint is on going. Used versions of this book can be found ($10 - 30 USD), though I'm not sure about the availability in your country or even if you're allowed to access sites where it might be available. As to the political and social "acceptabilities" you're having issue with, well this isn't the place for this discussion, but it is a well documented set of issues, though your access to this information may be intentionally limited by MPS (and other agencies).

I admit I'm certainly tainted in this regard, having had copyright protected designs, stolen and appear on a Chinese web site. The legal authorities in China were just about as useless a bunch, as I've ever known and our state department was helpless without Chinese cooperation. I'm not the only one to have had this happen and it's a common occurrence apparently, with continuous thefts on a daily basis and no recourse from Chinese officials.

5. qq1004831951

i am sorry about that.

language barriers ,that is true,i just ask and don't think about the tone,sorry again. i will mind it next time ,thanks you kerosene,i get a good teach.

6. qq1004831951

i have reply my problem to some guy ,and i am sorry about your things, i admit that happening in china that is so bad ,i am ashamed .Chinese officials are jerks,they never do really business.but as an individual i promise i will not do dirt theft things. i will watch my own tongue next time

1 person likes this.
  7. qq1004831951

i need time to read it,but it is hard for me ,thank you all,PAR and kerosene ,i hope what i have done won't take you any unpleasantness,if i have some questions,i'd like to share with you,first i have to finish the reading task, Happy National Day! :)

8. qq1004831951

:D it maybe a jest from my view, China don't like north Korea,although i don't know this country quite well,they won't kill me for what i said ,they will punish me if i break the law, i am not afraid of being monitored.thanks for your cares,that's ok. you mean you will send your copy of this book from cuba to china? it is too long and cost too much ,i have got one,thank you so much,you could send me email if you contact me,i don't know how to send by private message,anyway,thanks :)

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I am not in Cuba. I am north of Cuba. Click on my name on this post and you will see a line that says "Send a private message to hoytedow". Click on that line and start writing. Don't worry about the cost of shipping. I can skip lunch one day as I am too fat anyway. :)

Attached Files:

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

They might not shoot you but they will beat you like a rented mule.

1 person likes this.
  11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

hahaha.

No, they will shoot him. The one thing I do like about China. Their court system is not so corrupt that they focus on profit for the 1% .... instead they focus upon justice.

Maybe America could return to justice?

12. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Hoyt,

I need more books. Will that make you trim and fit?:D:D:D

1 person likes this.
  13. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

My Skene's elements was updated by Francis S Kenny in the seventies,
    still a useful text & gives an appreciation "of" but full of imperial.
    Jeff.

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Kinney's version is essentially a new book with a recycled title.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

David is correct, Skene's books was continuously updated until his death in the early 1930's. Then received a few additional updates by the Kennedy brothers in 1936 and posthumously in 1938, which is the last update I know of for this book. The Kenny book of the same name didn't arrive until over 20 years later (1962) and reflected a different view on design, mostly drawing on what he knew from S&S and Rhodes, where he'd worked. I have a first edition of this Kenny version which I prize.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.