Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Well apparently Mr Sedlemeyer has never designed a trimaran so...... guess the memory ain't what it used to be !

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Ppalu sailing trip

We finally got out of the inlet at St Augustine on Sat morning. Turned south towards Daytona and made it on one tack.

We put up her full sail ketch rig and sailed very relaxed at 8-11 knots on a close reach. The winds started somewhere around 10-15 knots out of the east and increased to 17-22 knots by the afternoon. (we did not have wind measurement instruments, so these are estimates of mine and the skipper/owner Randy West.
    Our speeds were derived via hand held GPS.

We experience a considerable ocean swell on our beam as a result of the wind having blown all night and day the day before. The swell got bigger as we approached the inlet at Ponce. We ended up surfing in a sizable swell. In fact Randy West who grew up in this area commented it was one of the largest he had ever tried to navigate thru.

Its been awhile since I've been out on a big multihull (Ppalu is 75 feet). Some of my thoughts on such designs for aging sailors have been fully reinforced:

1) The ketch rig is a godsend. There were 3 of us on the boat,...all over 55 years of age. Handling that mainsail was a chore, and I could just imagine trying to do it any shorter-handed, and in much heavier winds. Then I thought about this vessel being rigged as a sloop....WOW just that much more difficult. Even as a ketch the main mast is 63 foot tall. As a sloop it might have been 80 plus.

The mainsail was a 'stack pack' arrangement with some laze jacks. When dropping it prior to surfing in the inlet it did not what to just drop into the stack pack,...but rather this rather big heavy sail wanted to flake out over the boom and impede our view forward to help negotiate the waves we were going to surf in. It would not have been a one-person job!

Even the non-overlapping jib was a heavy sail, even while constructed of modern materials.

The mizzen was a great sail to maintain balance. We barely had to touch the wheel to keep her on course, while sailing thru a good size ocean swell. (we did not expend a lot of extra energy on tweaking the sails for max drive).

Then we had to put those sails away in the bags and covers once we were at dock. That took at least another hour, with 2 people.

It all went to reinforce my beliefs in my all-furling single-masted ketch sail plan.

Sailing Challenge

Ketch Rigged Catamaran, Chris White

Deketchification of America

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/aftmast-rigs-623-53.html#post753573

Overlapping Genoa and all-furling rig

2) I would prefer a dual helm station to the single one on Ppalu. It would allow one to read the sails more easily, and to get out of the shade of the mainsail at times. It was a cable system with a very large diameter wheel which gave plenty of steering power, and feedback (unlike hydraulic systems).

3) The single big outboard engine on a lowerable skid under the bridgedeck is a very adequate propulsion option for a sailboat auxiliary. Ppalu's needs to be hooked up so as to steer with the helm when docking and maneuvering under power. And I would likely modify the pivoting skid some what. What night even be more applicable without getting too fancy, would be to be able to separate the 'powerhead portion' of the engine from the drive leg. It would certainly be nice to just have a simple retractable drive leg/prop arrangement, with the powerhead portion up in a accessible 'engine box' on the wing deck.

Ppalu's outboard was adequately forward enough to not jump out of the water that often even in the considerable swells we were in. But it would have been even better had we not had that big (150hp) outboard hanging down there, but rather just a silent chain driven prop drive leg.

4) There is a lot to be said for keeping the systems simple, even on a large vessel. Her refrig and LED lighting, and cooling fans, and navigation computer were all powered by two solar panels

BTW Ppalu is for sale
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/Peter-Spronk-Catamaran-Custom-Ketch-2936979/Nassau/Bahamas#.WBikt8ki1-w

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectPpalu/

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

It feels a bit strange writing about my designs in this thread as it proves that I am now old, if not actually historic.

Anyway, as many of you know, I have lived in and around the Multihull Centre since 1982. So there have always been many examples my designs in Millbrook. Now is the time to view them as boats come out of the water for winter storage.

I was down in the yard earlier today. Three boats were of especial interest. The first, Rainbow Runner, a blue Windsong, launched in 1982 was my first design commission, it had rounded V hulls rather than straight V.

Then a standard Windsong, launched in 1986, it has made two Atlantic crossings.

And finally the 35ft Banshee that was our own boat, the Banshee prototype, launched in 1986. As you can see, all are actively sailing and all still in good condition despite being over 30 years old.

more on my website

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Attached Files:

4. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Don't use the O word Richard, the term is seasoned! Beautiful boats.

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Seems I have to join to view the pictures. Not

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Interesting video. I had not realized how far back they have been moving those mast and rigs. Of course you can see why right about time frame 40:20

9. semelis

semelis Junior Member

Really interesting !

10. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Do you guys get subtitles? - I can't speak French

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I wish my Francais was better I can pull out the odd sentence of what he is saying but that is it. I thought the video alone was worth the watch though. All those different boats over the years, quite a career.

12. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

I do speak French...Coville is a very introspective guy, who needs to work his mental for winning. Compared to old school guys like Tabarly and Kersauzon, made in monolithic hard stone and no metaphysical anguishes, he looks fragile with lots of questions, some will say too many.
    It's a very false impression, it's his functioning way as he has proven it on 25th of December he has just smashed the world circumnavigation record in solitary at 49 days, almost as fast as the crew record hold by Cammas at 48 days...That incredible.
    Very interesting to see the evolution of the tris on a period of 20 years. The underwater shapes have completely changed, masts have gone back keeping a full power mainsail, a thing we have have tried in experimental "kleenex" 18 feet cats at the very beginning of the 90, we saw immediately that the hulls shapes had to be changed totally and some NA began to cogitate hard on that, as the potential of safety and speed improvement was amazing. Extrapolating from a cheap 18 feet cat hastily made to prove a concept, to a full size tri needs lots of money and years of hard work.
    Add the foils, simpler mats, simpler sail plans, square mainsails, and highly improved hardware (winches, pulleys etc...) and a better engineering of the materials...I almost forgot; highly qualified shipỳards, so qualified that they work also for the aerospace industry. We see now the results

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I was simply gobsmacked by his average of 24 knots which is just super impressive. He looks absolutely physically and mentally drained after the effort hope he can get some time to relax given that level of pressure. I hate the term but if there is a "Sailor's Everest" this has to be it..

14. tane

tane Senior Member

impressive!!!
    (but like with Everest: there will always be somebody faster, but forever there will only be one "first"!)

15. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

That he has done, only a few mortals can hope to do it. It's more than the Everest, now rich tourists climb this sadly polluted mountain. The solitary circumnavigation on a maxi tri is for a very few mortals, a part the material problem of the boat, very few people have the physical and mental capacities plus the training for sailing such monsters at the max.
    He took advantage of a meteorology you have once in five years, and pushed the boat and himself to the limits.
    Coville has an immense experience, and tried to beat the record several times with sometimes very bad luck. This time he got good luck and grabbed it ferociously by the hairs.
    Also the Sodebo team is one of the best. Coville and the sponsor created an incredible synergy of competences who designed, built and prepared meticulously the boat, the proof is that Coville broke nothing and the tri is very fast. It's the result of many years of hard work. You have maybe three teams in the world at that level of competence.
    In this moment Coville is probably sleeping, as he spent 49 days sleeping 3 hours a day...Do not worry, he is very well cared. Few people can imagine the physical and mental prowess to keep alone a monster trimaran at its best possibilities during 49 days.
    It's like running a half marathon every morning and going to work in a forge the remaining of the day with just three hours of sleep.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.