Building a “C-Class” Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Nordschleife, May 23, 2021.

1. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Sorry RX,
    I didn't understand, I was thinking about a carbon tube made by filament winding or mandrel wrapping.

Cheers

rxcomposite likes this.
  2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Charged Particle

Speculation is futile. ETS wing main spar was not built with TPT. Garden variety pre pregnant according to my recollection. The wing was brutally heavy… in the order of 90 kg when’s 75 is the target.
    But that isn’t really the point. Instead of starting with nothing. There are usable parts that can be used to get to the fun stuff faster.

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

4. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Thank you Mr Clark,
    That was the missing information, to have the full picture
    In other words, their trade-off between diameter and weight was far from optimum.

This small diameter main spar was appealling, as I made an analogy between C-Cat spars and windsurf masts which are either
    SDM (Standard Diameter Mast) and RDM (Reduced diameter Masts) the smaller diameter having a thicker wall, which leads to similar weight.
    I candidly though they have been following the same path, with similar outcome.

Cheers

5. oldmulti

oldmulti Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.