TKO Electric / Solar Concept

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TKOUSA, Jul 16, 2012.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Perpetual motion means that a machine or device will run forever without any input. What you describe is an efficient machine with solar and wind power inputs. Also, the supercooled conductor with electron moving in it is not a perpetual motion machine. As with Brownian movement, the entropy of the Universe will eventually make all those motions stop. A perpetual motion machine would survive the entropy and keep on moving. Also, the Patent Office does not accept applications for perpetual motion machines or anti-gravity.

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Come on Gonzo, you know that this fellow hopes to travel over large distances without any form of energy to carry in his boat and have to put into his system, apart from a few small batteries. (he hopes and thinks so) We all know that it is impossible. Maybe I should have placed it into inverted comma's.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

DiLithium crystals

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Gonzo, is that the latest expression to say : go to hell? I love to have a cup of coffee with you one day, it must be a very interesting meeting. Your knowledge on the paperwork of boat building is outstanding. I'm take it white with sugar.

5. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Jeremy, I see you are on line, any chance to give us some sketches for a horizontal wind generator, using a brushless motor? Lets say between 1 and 2 KW. It need to be 4 or 8 poles, otherwise at low revolutions, the other side, the brushless motor on the prop will not work very well.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I guess you are not a trekkie

7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Gonzo, I had to laugh. What the hick is a trekkie. But in all seriousness, any good points I have to observe, when making a horizontal wind turbine, which can deliver 1 KW at 300 revs. I will have to gear it up to get the correct voltage out of a single BPMM.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A trekkie is a Star Trek fan (a nerd by definition)

9. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Well, sorry for a late reply, I was away. Thank you Gonzo, no, only I had to laugh louder, but actual it is a compliment. I have the greatest respect for the film director who created those films, but sadly never had the time and interest of seeing them. When I was young, and played Ice Hockey, I would have put a pencil licker against the barrier. Problem solved. I prefer to be a nerd than a pencil licker.

Can we come back to the real problem this person has in believing, that one can get energy for nothing, with no losses. I expected the forum members would help him with a solution.

Like I have said before, the only way he may be able to do reasonable distances when he has a wind turbine, a few BPMM’s, a battery bank and some solar panels. Your guys are the bright boys who can calculate what kind of energy he need, in not too bad weather. If one has to propose a design for real rough weather, half of the boats in the world would not be able to see the harbour back.

Is it unrealistic? To propose to him that a 2 to 3 KW Horizontal Wind turbine would be just enough to push a 27 feeter with 1 KW folding up solar panels. A couple of deep discharging spiral batteries 24 Volt 250 Ampere-hour. A flywheel low in the belly, driven by the turbine. A decent size BPMM used for charging batteries and feeding the propulsion. I bet you gonzo, that you quietly have tried it out, to have two BPMM’s coupled to each other, to see whether it really says what I said it will do. You haven’t tried it?

Attached of a sketch how something he should make could look like. I challenge the forum members to help him with a possible workable solution.

Attached Files:

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Bertku, that solution was already discussed, in two separate threads on this forum:
    1) www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/build-power-boat-powered-wind-38755.html
    2) www.boatdesign.net/forums/press-releases/build-power-boat-power-wind-part-ii-39075.html
    Many of the things you are asking for were already analysed there, you should check it out.
    As about your request to further try to convince the author of the OP that his idea cannot work, there is no need for that. He has already been given the best advice tailored to his personality: he has to construct the machine he proposes the others to construct, and see how well it performs. My personal opinion is that no other method will work in this case, but you can feel free to disagree and to keep insisting, of course.
    Cheers!

11. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Thank you daiquiri, I have great respect for people like you, CDK, Jeremy Harris, Porta, and a few others who have always given solutions to problems. Pitty that we cannot help this man.

I am pleased to see that near Infra Red solar cells with an inexpensive possible production line cost, will be coming onto the market in the next couple of years. At least that would solve one of the 3 problems.

I am aware that direct drive windpower to propeller has been done, but not Brushless Permanent Magnet Motors acting as generator and then have a dual purposer, charging batteries and feeding the BPMM for the propeller. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen it. With respect to the problem of control over the speed of the horizontal turbine, there are solutions for such problem. Now with the latest British development of the high efficient horizontal turbine, it may be a proposition.

Look, for me speed is not an issue, as long it is 2 knots higher than any currents measured where the boat is planning to sail. In anyway it would have been nice to have a solution for that person.

Maybe somebody will come up with a different idea for such a boat. Who would have thought that somebody would fly in an aeroplane with ventilators in the wings? That after 100 years of flying in a normal manner.

12. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

The afore-mentioned threads about windmill-powered boat were dealing with exactly that solution - batteries charged by aerogenerators and used as energy source for electric motor / propeller. It was written right from the opening post. I don't recall them mentioning any direct-drive solutions.

13. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I probably haven't expressed myself properly. I meant (in principle) NO BATTERIES but 3 wires from the one Brushless PMMotor acting as generator directly to the 3 connections of the BPMM propeller.

Thereafter one can start adding controllers, batteries, switches, chargers etc.
    Sorry that I was not clear enough.
    Bert

14. TKOUSA

TKOUSA Junior Member

Your input

Thank you all for your input - this has been very enlightening

15. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Yes amazing. You can use AA batteries to ether create a 3V power source (in series) or a 1.5V power source (parallel). Total energy in both systems is the same. Just like a gear box can change rpm higher at the expense of torque or vise versa.

I liked your explanation when you were asked where the energy comes from:

And my guess is if asked what creates the rotation you would say the motors and when asked what powers the motors you would say the PMAs.

When I was 6 or 7 I though that as I had a bulb attached to a battery - and thus electrons running through the system - that if I could short the system quickly enough I could keep the electrons looping around the circuit without the battery. I guess I just never got quick enough in disconnecting and connecting the wires.

Maybe this will help you understand where you are failing:
    You pick a motor that creates 1000w of power (numbers are examples) then you find a generator with specs producing 2000w. The operating RPMs for spec values don't match so you think that the only missing link is to address this with a transmission or gearing of sorts. What you fail to understand that the power needed by the generator is not just an issue of rpm. The generator will resists with a torque that results in the said 2000w (after losses presumably - but we can ignore those here). Now you assume (and this assumption is the point of ridicule and all the questions you fail to answer) that for some reason 1000w motor can spin the generator. It obviously cannot - it produces half the torque (again pretending 100% efficient system) needed to run the generator.

If it was that easy I would have done it by age 10 after realizing that the light bulb experiment had a promise. Everyone would be doing it for everything. Any kid interested in physics has probably at some point had this idea but usually have sat down to think why the system wouldn't work (as intuition would have told most already).

You have been explained number of times why it doesn't work but you fail to pay attention to the people trying to help.

And yeah the youtube video by professional scam artists isn't really helping your case - neither is self created wikipedia page.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.