The end of the world is near....... what Yacht will you build?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wellydeckhand, Jun 16, 2006.

?

What u will choose if seawater rise 50M and u need to find other land but............

1. Monohull Sail Yacht

29.3%
  2. Monohull Motoryacht

4.8%
  3. Monohull Motorsailer

12.3%
  4. Catamaran Sail yacht

17.1%
  5. Catamaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  6. Catamaran Motorsailer

10.8%
  7. Trimaran Sail Yacht

12.0%
  8. Trimaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  9. Trimaran Motorsailer

4.6%
  10. Dont Know?

1.4%
  11. Stay at land and hang on something

0.9%
  12. Find a submarine........ hopefully

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Try world meltdown..... the earth stops rotating on its axis and then were all up the crappa..... nth and sht poles wont exist any more...... im still trying to get my head round it all, there is alot of info out there...and im not too sure how accurate it is???

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Not likely, and in that event, who cares, for you would not be able to do anything, - - - millennialism cults are always screaming some doomsday event coming to a town near you... I will watch the movie when it re-runs on TV:D:D:D

3. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Im with you on that, nothing like a hollywood blockbuster with great sound .ahahahaha

bring on the end of the world :p

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I been following the Dresden codex for a while
    interesting how so many different cultures have various end of the world myths and how many of em have the world ending on the same date

not sure I believe it but its equally as interesting that the date also coincides with the planet crossing the galactic ecliptic

in a nutshell what the Dresden codex says it not that the world will end
    but that a great calamity will befall the planet as a whole and that half the people will starve and the other half wish they had
    the Hopi have something very similar as do many of the worlds native religions
    many of these are oral traditions but some like the Hopi were written

given how close we are to things like
    tipping point in rapid climate change
    peak oil
    peak food production
    and the sensitivity to world food distribution we have all become
    that and how obviously dubious the health of the world economic situation is

another joyous little tid bit is that not only does the Mayan calendar pick this date as the end
    its picked a lot of other dates
    and although the Spanish burned the guide book for the calender
    the various dates emphasized on it have nearly always accurately predicted some major event

my personal take on it is
    I give it a definite maybe

cheers
    B

5. Jameswright4

Jameswright4 Junior Member

Wingsail

I have owned and exerimented with a Walker Wingsail for nine years and own
    LARINKA,(entre into Google to see images). The wing works perfectly and can sail effortlessly in all weathers and can sail up to 25d into the wind. In fact the wing works perfectly it is just the damn boat beneath it was so badly designed and jerry built. A lot of time and effort has been put into the boat but now I intend selling her on for she is functional and comfortable but now need a much larger catamaran on which we will fit either an aero rig or two fixed wings with 2 fixed countoured wings but no tail (Larinka currently has a wing and moveable flap and a tail (rudder) as in an aeroplane.

We have just returned from Portsmouth to Dover in the UK (Tesday) where she is berthed and the weather was Gale force 7-8 . The boat was as solid as a rock and no heel at all and a cup of coffee could easily be laid on the table and she seldom took a rogue wave which cannot be avboidee in such seas but by limiting the angle of attack of the wing and relying solely on the feathered wing we shot along at speeds of 10-14 knots and surfed the waves on the following sea.

Below ten knots of wind she is sluggish for she weighs 15 tons and has all goodies on board for independant cruising. (Water maker.w/machine and spin drter etc etc).....the solar panels on deck in good weather keep all running but there is a generator and an inboard Yanmar 55 which drives tow external legs in the outer hulls. Thought this might be of interest as it would be a great boat for a coming Armageddon !! I know for I have spent many a happy time cruiing independantly and dropping anchor wherever required . Her method of going ashore...a hovercraft which scoots along at 35mph over any sea under Beaufort 4..... Big boys toys!! Enjoy James Wright

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well I will build this one:
    Supply vessel
    [​IMG]

And I hope tó have her in the water by the end of 2011. Then I will go to see the rim!
    The world is flat, so there must be a rim. And I like to have seen that before it disappears forever.

Richard

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Yeah but where are you going to refuel come the end of the world?

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

one with a big wine cellar

9. wardd

wardd Senior Member

with the end every direction is down hill, no refueling necessary

10. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Maybe its one of those new solar powered ships that they are trying to get up and running?? it is bug enough to store alot of batteries on it? there is enough room also on the aft deck to hold a pretty nice yacht as well. a nice small offshore sailor....like a mini transat yacht ..... (give me the yacht anyday :) )

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was dead right!!!
    And no space for a wine cellar, no space for PV array´s (except for some 1,5m²), this is not as big as it seems.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

your all going to wind up burning wood pellets and running steam engines before long

hmmmm
    Im going to have to go find that edge someone mentioned
    sounds like a nasty drop but would be a great story for the kids
    cheers
    B

13. masalai

masalai masalai

That is easy, just keep accelerating and heading E until you reach "escape velocity" - (East, because the rotational velocity may help a little:D)

14. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

15. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Surely at the end of the world one has to assume petrol stations will be 'closed' thus motoryachts and anything with less than a fully functional sailplan will become a static caravan?