Tammie Norrie by Iain Oughtred in foam?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nickrj, Jan 20, 2022.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

37' @$4000/ is about $150k to build yourself

2. nickrj

nickrj Junior Member

$4k/ft as a complete build estimate or hull & deck estimation?

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Good ballpark for diy complete

4. nickrj

nickrj Junior Member

Thanks - this was about what I had in mind, but it was not based on anything other than intuition.

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

what happens is you can build a 14' boat for far less than $1000/ft, but cost is not linear; systems get more complex, heat, marine head, power inverter, autopilot, radar, multiple displays; wire runs are longer; surveys for insurance all add up fast

I'm going to be somewhere around $5k/ft. Sort of gave up tracking. Gotta finish.

6. nickrj

nickrj Junior Member

What is your construction method/material and what are you building? Are you being thrifty with a secondhand rig & sails, etc, or is it all new? My intention is to strip complexity, I've sailed enough miles to have little appreciation for complex systems, and that philosophy is part of my interest in building.

7. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Do you have an approximate hull shape in mind? Chines are en vogue again, and a modern "wedge" shape could be buildt by flat panel infusion. Only the chines would need fairing, wich is a significant time saving. Or we can talk about one of the "one time molds".

As for other building materials, there are options.
    Al only requires you to be able to tack the boat together. Final welding can be done by a hired pro, and you can grind it pretty yourself. Al maintenance is just beeing careful with electricity.
    Wooden methods are plenty and the involved skill level varies greatly. Strip planking and stich&glue don't need more skill then foam core, and can have as much CNC involvement as you wish.
    Lastly we have plain old uncored fiberglass, but that is probably to heavy for your liking.

Cost savings are tricky. On the hull there are only a few possibilities, for example vinylester resin outer hull with polyester inner and deck. Or using wood for the core with epoxy skins. Keel structure and attachment system also offers some potential.

What are the "special features" and what does "expedition" mean?

8. nickrj

nickrj Junior Member

Yes, I'm in discussions with an architect. Chines are in vogue a bit, but I think they are coming out of the European Classe designs which are predominantly Atlantic downwind sleds, where those chines have benefit for such conditions. I'm not an architect, but I can't see their benefit for a cruising boat which requires a broader range of design requirements, ie. upwind ability.

Twin transom mount kick-up tiller rudders, shallow draft, crash bulkheads, re-enforced bow, extended fuel carrying capacity. Foam sandwich also has the added benefit of its insulation properties in cold climates.

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

powercat, foam composite, 32' lwl

the cost for sail v power is not far off here

my boat is. Woods' design, all epoxy

10. nickrj

nickrj Junior Member

11. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

AEC3ECA8-7D44-4F36-819E-342E8FF1876C.jpeg I am in 4th and final year. Flat panel foam vac table.

dare to dream

12. nickrj

nickrj Junior Member

Full-time or between other jobs/work? Is flat panel foam vac method where you glass on a large vacuum table, then take the glassed rigid panels to form your shape, then glue your joins and glass over?

Could you have also had the full size foam sheets glassed in the factory & then CNC'd and shipped to you? In speaking with Gurit they mentioned this as a service. No idea of the costs, but I thought it was interesting.

13. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Can I suggest that you sit down with a spreadsheet open and list all that goes into a boat of the desired size and it's cost?Spars,sails,winches,engine navigation equipment,deck hardware,anchors and fenders and add it all up.Then add the cost of materials,which will only be getting more expensive as a protracted build goes on and add that to the total.Then there is the cost of providing a covered building space for the duration and running saws,heaters,lights and the prudent would insure against as many forms of disaster as may be a realistic local threat.With that total and perhaps six thousand hours of your time,what will you have created?Yes,you may have a boat that you feel proud of and it may allow you to do the type of sailing you really want to do.What happens about the running costs that are an inescapable fact of boating life?How will you cover those while doing the voyages of your dreams?Then finally,if your priorities change,will you be able to recoup anything from a sale of the vessel?A boat built to satisfy a unique set of requirements may not appeal to anybody who doesn't share those requirements and it may not be the easiest task to sell an amateur built boat for more than a small fraction of what it cost to get afloat,if it will pass the almost inevitable pre-purchase survey.

I might appear to be entirely negative,but please accept that I am trying to ensure that yet another keen builder/sailor doesn't add to the global stock of part completed dream boats that never see the water.I don't know of a single boatyard that doesn't have a few abandoned builds or restorations around the place.Some keep them out of sight,quite often in a field with a tall hedge a few hundred yards from the showpiece marina where they sell the glamorous image of leisure boating-and charge accordingly.Which is why they wheel the putative chicken huts down the road to languish in obscurity until they have a quiet couple of weeks and can get down there with a diamond saw in the hope of retrieving some saleable scrap metal to cover the cost of disposing of the rubbish.

I admire the tenacity of those who see their dream boat through to launching and then enjoy nautical life.I don't know if this long term dream build is for the challenge of the build or a gateway to a particular voyage.It will demand a huge investment of time and resources and may lead to an unbelievable sense of achievement.Or you could buy this and go sailing in a few days time for less of an outlay of both.2006 Class 40 Jaz 40, Portland Maine - boats.com https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/2006-class-40-jaz-40-8100003/

Personally,I'd build the Tammie Norrie as designed-in wood and at a leisurely pace.

14. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

full time, wife let me do it

15. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

You don't have to go to the extremes of the racing boats. Wide sterned boats sail upwind just fine if the designer does his job. It's just that they don't like to sail flat upwind.

The limit on premade flat panels are laminate thickness vs. hull curvature, the panel has to take the bend. Deeply rockered hulls with pinched sterns are not exactly ideal.
    You might be interested in this thread, the pictures don't show on the first few pages but appear later. Flat panel infused cat on direct female molded round bilges. efficient 10m displacement powercat (build thread) https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/efficient-10m-displacement-powercat-build-thread.38588/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.