Steel hull prep - Sand blasting VS Wire wheel

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by parkland, Feb 17, 2013.

1. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

i agree with what was said previously.

a) if the coating is sound, leave it on
    b) power tool prep is fine for small areas. Note if you try to remove the cte with a power tool if may just melt into the brush and make it useless, Depends on the hardness/toughness of the cte.
    c) you could also use a big angle grinder (180mm?) with fibre discs. These are available in p16 grit. These will strip better than the wire brush.
    d) if you use a wire brush thing make sure you wear a face mask. The wires ping out and will hit you in the face/eye
    e) blasting is best option for large scale
    f) paint the same day as you clean. Don't spend a week cleaning it, then wait to paint. Do it day by day. The comment regarding flash rusting on the cleaned steel does not apply to all primers though cte are the most forgiving generally speaking

1 person likes this.
  2. Northman

Northman Junior Member

Collin, sorry if I'm thick, but what is "cte"?
    Walter

3. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

Sorry. I wasn't showing off, I was just being lazy.

It stands for Coal Tar Epoxy.

I used to work for International Paint. You get sick of writing all these long words in reports. Everything used to get boiled down in pre-text speak to simple abbreviations purely to make reports easier to read and type. eg Sa2.5-cte-af(antifouling) -you've just painted a supertanker bottom:)

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Why'd you leave International?

5. Northman

Northman Junior Member

Sorry, my bad. Sometimes it pays to start reading on page 1 :eek:
    Walter

6. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

I decided to wanted to be a foreman painter rather than a talker about paint. I ended up in Holland working at Feadship, Royal Huismann, Amels, Jongert for example. Also spent time around World (China, France, Germany,Spain etc) leading projects. No regrets. Less bs, less paperwork, less stupid painters to listen to:) I probably earn way less money than if I stayed with International/Akzo but money isn't everything I discovered early in career. Then again, Superyacht owners think differently...which has helped fund my life:)

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Interesting.

Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.