Steel boatbuilding website

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi to all my old friends here:) and others.

Over the years I had been on this forum, I had my steel boatbuilding webpage to assist amateurs etc link in my signature. This webpage was setup and sponsored on my behalf over the years by a member here named Jarl. Dont know if he still prowls around, but without Jarl none of that would have possible.
    The server was based in Finland where Jarl resided whilst building his dream boat.

Nearly a year or bit less ago I noticed the webpage had disappeared from the web and assumed Jarl pulled the plug because of the cost involved posting this webpage and I decided to put it to rest since Im retired and probably served its purpose. I removed the webpage link a few month ago from my signature on posts.

Received some spam today on my email linked to my old webpage and thought it strange and check on it and much to my surprise found it up and running again:cool:.
    It can only be Jarl hosting the webpage for all whom may benefit from it and hats off to him. I notice the sever is now based in Mountain View, USA.

I lost Jarl's email years ago and cannot get hold of him to thank him personally wherever he may be. If it is not Jarl whom is now hosting the webpage on my behalf, there is a saint out there somewhere...
    Here is the link again; http://5psi.net/

As for myself since I last posted here during July 2014; As I mentioned, Im finally retired, In my 60's now and blessed with a grand daughter a year ago - my wife and I waited 38 years for a little girl to show up in the family.
    I travel quite a lot touring my own country and there are few places my BMW X5 is not privy to. Been up the dunes of the skeleton coast / dessert, to the most southern point Cape Agulhas the most northern point Musuna, the scenic Mpumulanga, back road tracks, the beauty of the Cape and everywhere in between. I even been to Orania to see what all the hype is about.
    People are all to keen to go overseas for vacation but seems to forget the beauty of one's own country. South Africa is indeed a land of diversity

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Server Not Found for what you posted. This one works for me http://5psi.net/

This got me interested
    I have an old Lincoln tombstone 225 AC welder. If I put some quick connects on the cable ends to switch the clamp and stinger, I can use my AC unit as a DC unit? Does it work just as well as a dedicated DC welder and more important, does it harm my AC welder?

Also this
    Is this just a regular sized jig saw or do they make a bigger, tougher one than normal? Do you have to buy blades by the truckload or are there good ones that last a reasonable amount of time? Do you oil/lubricate while cutting or is it best not to get the steel surface all oily/contaminated?

3. Wynand N

Thanks for pointing out the correcting the link:cool:

An AC welder cannot be a DC unit unless fitted with rectifiers to convert the alternating current to direct current.
    On an AC machine it really does not matter if the electrode or ground welding cables get swopped around because on alternating current it switches at about 50 times a second (depending on country electric supply) between phases.
    An DC machine on the otherhand is a different animal and have dedicated outputs on cables - ground will be negative and electrode will be positive, regardless.

Jigsaws; yes, you get some better quality ones for professional use and these things are an excellent compromise for those who do not have access to oxy-acetylene cutting equipment or plasma cutters. Quality blades do matter doing some serious cutting.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi Samsam,
    his is the jigsaw I use, http://www.toolwise.com/tool/bosch-barrel-grip-jig-saw-with-case-1584avsk-506.php
    I got my first one at 16 around 35 years ago, the occilation was brand new then, the first went around 22 years with only brushes and blade guides replaced with close to daily use in timber boatbuilding, yacht fit out and cutting windows to steel yachts, usually 3mm.
    I had a large hand nibbler(Nuplex that would do just up to 5mm but a very heavy machine and expensive tooling with the punch & die sets around 100 bucks and awkward to stop a cut as needed to be backed out of the slot it made. Friction/cut off discs are reliable if used correctly, I've used "Flexovit" brand mostly & never had that brand give an issue.
    All the best from Jeff

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

On the welder, I misunderstood what you were saying. I get it know, thanks.

It sounds like that will be my next jig saw. The one I have, the knob itself can turn the blade to direct the cut which helps in tight places. That one looks like it does but it's not mentioned in the specs so I guess not.

6. Wynand N

Jigsaws are nice to cut curves and corners, especially inside curves one cannot get to with cutting disc.
    For cutting long and slightly curve plates, its better to use grinder with abrasive cutting disc rather than jigsaw. Nowadays some thin (1mm) discs are available that cuts steel effortlessly.
    Will update the webpage accordingly soon on this issue.

7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

The cutting discs are great, ones designated for stainless seem to get better meterage per disc around 5:7 or so on 5mm mild plate for the 9" x 2-2.5mm version. Very important to where a respirator as lots of grubby particulates in the air. Nice fair cuts result in the use, a flap disc on a smaller machine is necessary to de-burr the razor sharp edge particularly to underside of cut & vise grips handy to shift smaller segments around.
    Jeff.

8. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Jarl

Hi Wynand,

I'm glad to see you're posting here again :)

Could your website patron be Jarl -IT Administrator- from Iceland, instead of Finland ?

He is (was ?) building a Hout Bay 33 in Hafnarfjörður there, see Boat Building Projects Underway ---> post #51, maybe the email at the bottom of the post is still working ?

Dudley names him here and here, maybe Dudley also has current contact info of this Jarl ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.