Scarf Joint

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by sleepyweasel, Sep 17, 2012.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Mesh drywall tape has a glue on it, that I'm not sure about, in regard to adhesion or comparability with epoxy. There are a lot of techniques you can use to insure no joint starvation. One of my favorites is back cutting the joint. You leave the perimeter of the joint alone, but hollow out inside the joint a bit. This way the edges of the joint look perfect, once the ooze out is removed, but inside the joint, a mass of goo is holding things nicely. You can also use string, placed into the joint, which even after crushing with a clamp, will offer some room for the goo, but you'll also have a fat glue line, which my back cutting technique doesn't.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

A bonded joint should have .005 to .010 gap for max strength. Fishing line would work well if it is not too heavy.

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Now you tell me - when I think of the trouble I used to go to in order to get perfectly flat surfaces for a scarf joint . . .

4. v1alfred

v1alfred Junior Member

hi.have anybody NES 02-140 or nes 08-100 standard?
    if any body have it,please send to my mail. it is very vital for me to have it.
    my mail: apachi.89@gmail.com
    thanks allot.

5. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

West system has a scarffer that you bolt on a skill saw, should save lots of labor, 875 Scarffer.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Fiberglass window screen sounds like a possibility.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are millions of scarfs that haven't failed glued the standard way. I think it is an unnecessary complication with no real advantages. Joints get starved because the wood absorbs the resin. If you put something that keeps the wood surfaces apart and the wood absorbs resin, there should be a gap left.

9. PAR

Prep is always the key and precoating raw wood is just a standard requirement, for any epoxy work.

When I have stock I can lay on a bench, this is the setup I can use. I can cut a 9' scarf with this, easily.

[​IMG]

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Par,

Looks like a good set up. Solid so you get a consistent cut.
    I just have to question the 9' scarf. Did you mean 9/1 ratio?
    How thick of a piece of ply can you cut with the circular saw blade?

11. PAR

No, I meant a 108" long scarf. I made it on the edge of a work bench, so I could scarf the long edge of plywood, for a large planking project I was working on.

A typical 7 1/4" circular saw can cut a 2.5" deep cut, so this means a 10:1 on 1/4" stock, a 6.6:1 on 3/8" stock and a 5:1 on 1/2" stock. If you remove the guard, you can swing an 8" blade and get more slope on the scarf for thicker stock. My jig was set at a common angle to maximize the blade depth. 5:1 with an epoxy joint is suitable for plywood that's not heavily radiused, such as planking. A quickly curved combing for example, might get pissy with a 5:1 scarf slope.

By changing the blade angle you can get a better slope too, but you have to have the blade diameter to pull it off. I have an off brand 9", that now swings s a 10" blade. It can cut a 8:1 scarf in 1/2" stock, but watch your fingers. This saw scares the hell out of me when I use it. Maybe one day I'll make a guard for it. I know Makita sells a 16" circular saw, which probably costs a fortune, but damn what a machine.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I used to work for a contractor who owned one of those 16" Makitas; it was his pride and joy. He only brought it out to cut beam ends, and wouldn't let anyone else touch it -- partly because he he was afraid they'd break his toy, and partly because he was afraid they'd cut their leg off.

13. v1alfred

v1alfred Junior Member

hi.i am sorry, my English is not good.
    I use epoxy resin to build laminate joint(not adhesive bond joint), such as tee joint. i have one question.
    what time(day) after curing laminate pieces is better to assembly them with epoxy? and what time after assembly i should cure theme(assembly piece)?
    I use epoxy 5052 resin,there is no information in manual.
    thanks

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Cure time ?

I Dont know how long for your climate, shop temp. and epoxy.

Why not make up a few Tee joints then break them a 12, 24, 36 hours.

With the West System Epoxy and standard hardner .... 24 hours at shop temperature is required before the joint is stressed...manhandled.

With West system epoxy , a plywood scarf joint at standard shop temp ..needs 36 hours before handling

15. PAR

Michael, it's likely he's attempting to get information about Araldite 5052 epoxy. A quick trip over to their web site will yield the appropriate gel, pot and cure rate/times he's looking for. This would be the logical place to start, in any case. Of course, as you and I know, these are subject to considerable "flexibility", depending on shop conditions.

Troy, I knew a timber framer that had one and he prized his as well. I used it a few times and it's a beast, but cutting a 7" deep tenon shoulder in one pass, on a 12"x16" log is a lot of fun.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.