Pocket Cruisers for the Backyard Builder - Dave Gerr

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Kutoroka, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Kutoroka

Kutoroka Junior Member

Hi, not sure if this is appropriate, so please excuse me if I am out of Line.

I am interested in a boat described in the book mentioned in the subject line, specifically the Caravelle 28ft by Russell McNab. I am hoping that someone here who has the book could either post here, or send me, scans of any pages/drawings relevant to this boat.

I don't want to be the cause of any copyright infringement and I realise Dave Gerr is here on these forums, so perhaps he can help/authorise this. I am in Australia and this book seems impossible to get here. I have ordered a second hand one off Amazon, but it will take weeks to get here and I really would like to have this info now.

Thanks in advance for any help available.

2. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

you can buy it on amazon.com

whilst amazon itself does not have it, other sellers listed on the amazon.com website have it, and some do international shipping. It will take you quite awhile because it generally goes via sea freight, wheras i think amazon does air frieght. I bought some books on amazon the other day, they arrived here in a few weeks. when ordered from other sellers on the amazon website it seemed to take 3 months.

so about 22 US dollars for the book (second hand), then about 17 US dollars for international expedited shipping, at 21 to 42 business days (i checked)

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

??????????????

4. Kutoroka

Kutoroka Junior Member

Thanks Peter. As you can see from my original post, I have already ordered a second hand one off Amazon, but as you affirm, it will take weeks, and I'm in somewhat of a hurry to get those particular pages that I mentioned.

5. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

sorry, my stuff up, did not read it right
    its 2.30am here in melbourne

aside,,, and i know its off topic, you can buy a very good second hand 27ft yacht for 20K, I was on a 27ft northerner 28 a few months ago, it was run down and cost 12K, one in very good nick can be had for 20 to 25k, very very solid, standing headroom, no one wants these old figerglass yachts anymore. Did I say really really really solid, 55 percent ballast ratio, long fixed keel, seakindly hull.

was listening to the radio (radio national), they had a fellow on that bought a 27ft yacht in britain for 10K (aus dollars), and took 4 years to sail it to australia, apparntely they are making a movie about it

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

An attractive little ship, too bad the promise did not hold up. I think I've posted these somewhere before.

I know of one of these being built, in steel I believe, perhaps by the designer? Anyway it was very difficult (I assume because of the compound curvature in the plating) and took years. Then the boat proved tender and unbalanced under sail (which is obvious from the lines). She was for sale for a number of years....no idea what happened.

Caravel1.jpg

Caravel2.jpg

Caravel3.jpg

Contact as of 2008

Russell McNab
    Australian Maritime Heritage Designs
    P.O Box 7491 Urangan
    Hervey Bay
    Queensland
    Australia 4655
    Phone [mobile] 0409890757

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

8. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

The boat mentioned in that thread is still for sale - I've seen her over at Cygnet many times. Very pretty lines IMO but I've no idea what the sailing characteristics are.

I do know that you couldn't possibly build one for the asking price.... but what else is new.

PDW

9. Kutoroka

Kutoroka Junior Member

Thanks very much Tad, exactly what I needed!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.