Planning to build a performance cruising cat?

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by jorgepease, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Just kicking this idea around in my head.

I'm going to be building a 50' custom Grainger cat. It's going to be built using short run molds, probably safe for 3-5 pulls. Would be nice to have one or more people interested in building the same boat so we could leverage cost of mold and get better discounts on materials.

This would be a foam core build, infusing both hulls and bridgedeck in one shot. Tops of hulls and roof would possibly be one shot as well. All other components infused flat table.

You would still have to pay a licensing fee to Grainger but the amount of money we can save on mold, tools, plus buying power and production style workflow should result in a decent savings in cost and time.

I am located in Miami Fl. and plan to build in Key Largo at Catamaran Boat Yard. They have a 80 x 40 x 60' high building with roof (no walls) and a lift with 28'-4 inch capacity.

Something to consider if you are planning to build a cat. Time frame for actual assembly would be around 3rd quarter next year but mold frames would be pre cut smaller components (daggerboards, rudders etc... infused prior.

Cheers.

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Is production of another 3-5 cats covered by licence purchased from the designer? ;)

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Read my post, I mention that. ))

4. Joe Green

Joe Green New Member

If you are still planning this I would definitely want to build one for myself and would offer to build a few more for sale as well.

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Hi Joe,

Yes, I am still doing it, working on closing out all my commitments and have my house up for sale. I started another thread since then which more specifically details what I am doing - CNC Plans not Included https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/cnc-plans-not-included.56453/

It's not your standard cruiser so I gave up on the idea of finding people to share the same mold. However one of the biggest problems I see as I get nearer to starting is the location. It's really tough to find a good, reasonably priced location. The Catamaran Boat Yard in Key Largo is at the right price but I would like to see if I can do better.

My current idea is to be more flexible and start a boat builders club somewhere which would provide the infrastructure on these large and small projects and also leverage buying power, the price breaks on materials in volume are substantial.

My desired location is Croatia because it gives me access to a growing charter market, the EU and very well priced materials but they have short supply of warehouse at relatively high prices. What I have been working on the last couple of weeks is looking for commercial land which I can erect temporary structures on (tents) complete with a trolley hoist and let everyone build whatever they want to build.

So the idea is very much alive and in flux and I am getting closer to tying off all my loose ends. Where are you located?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.