Mini6.5 design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alik, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Henning

Henning Guest

Hi, well I am interesting building the boat. Please contact me, because your email didn't work. Regards Henning
    henning.holthausen@gmx.de

2. mswanson

mswanson New Member

sailing centerline

Since your boat that you show here would be sailing when heeled on a line that is 7 degrees off centerline, would you put you dagger board at this angle?

3. asathor

asathor Senior Member

Adjustable keel angle.

I agree with mswanson that 7 degrees seems to be a pretty big difference between the track on the water as defined by hull shape and the keel - it would be interesting to hear if any one have compared tacking angles between compass (hull and keel direction) vs actual tacking angle from GPS on this boat type.

If you are going to cant the keel why not turn it as well, it sound like the 50 pounds or less that this would add would be no problem and easy to machine.

Asathor

:!:

4. mswanson

mswanson New Member

What I think goes on is that although any broad beam, broad stern boat like a mini wants to go at an angle to centerline when heeled, it is not allowed to because the keel/ dagger board are parallel to the centerline. If the boat has 2 dagger boards, one on each side that are at an angle then I think the boat would sail with less resistance. This though would cause a problem with the keel direction. You could turn the keel as you suggest although that would be making an already complicated mechanism that cants and slides even more complicated. When the boat is sailing in a breeze with the keel canted, the keel would be added hydrodynamic stability with the canted keel angled downward by the same amount as the dagger board is off centerline. This would be a good thing if the angle was not too great. 7 degrees might be too much for optimum lift / drag of the keel. You would then have the problem that in light air with the keel not canted or even canted to leeward, the keel and the dagger board would be fighting each other. You would also have this problem reaching in light air and running in most conditions. If you could design the boat so you did not use the dagger boards in these conditions it might work.

5. Robert Miller

Robert Miller Junior Member

What software was used

Unless I missed it in reading over the thread, I couldn't find indication of which CAD package was used to show the lines. I think the heeled waterlines are very impressively shown... and let one see so much with respect to the boats heeled behavior.

Would you please descibe the software you used to show this? (BTW< I am new to CAD).

Thanks.

Robert

6. vesa

vesa New Member

Open source mini6.5 design

at least I'd be more than happy to donate few quids (via paypal) to Alik for finishing his mini6.5 design and submitting it as an 'open source design' :D

how about the rest of you?

it's a crying shame that this promising www.mini-650.de -project seems to have stalled...

7. Alik

Alik Senior Member

If interested, I can propose lines plan, loft, arrangement and sails plan of this boat for download from this website. Let's ask admin... :)

8. trantrungnghia

trantrungnghia New Member

detailed design of Mini6.5 design

:) :) :rolleyes:
    Hello,
    At first I'd like to wish you a healthy and happy newyear.
    Your Mini6.5 design is quite attractive with me,it's a high performance sailing skiff that I'm looking for.
    I'm a non-professional yacht designer,a professional boat builder,can you supply me the detailed Mini6.5 design,after consider it carrefully I'll give you my idea about that design,I'm ready to pay if necessary.
    I'm interested also your Attack 780R,Pluto 800 designs and others,please give me the price list of their construction plans.
    Fowarding to your reply.
    Best regard,

Tran trung Nghia

9. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Hi Nghia, I stay in Thailand now... :) Give me Your e-mail to contact by PM.

10. trantrungnghia

trantrungnghia New Member

Hello Albert,
    I'm trying to go on the path of Thailand in sailing activities and I may choose Mini6.5 as a beginning for this project.
    I'm interesed also in CRALYA 630,please give me more imformetion about it.
    My email:saigonyachts@yahoo.com
    Best regards,

Tran trung Nghia

11. Henning

Henning New Member

Hi Alik,
    I'm also interested in your mini design. Pease, can I also get the plans? Fist I want to build a model, but the pictures you posted are not good enough.
    henning.holthausen@gmx.de
    Thanks Henning

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.