Foldable catamaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by skatun, Nov 20, 2018.

?

Feasible?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I don't know many designers that would recommend going across the oceans in folding cats.

Not saying it can't be done, but you need to design it for serious conditions. Way outta my ballpark.

2. skatun

skatun Junior Member

How much would that cost?

My budget is 2000h

Haven't done the math yet, depends a lot on range you want though, maybe 50nm is enough on electric, rest under sail...

Well it is experimental, and most likely you need to apply high lift devices, below lift off for 10kt:
    upload_2018-11-22_9-8-22.png

Not a problem where I live:)
    Well the idea is to only be a like 5 hours on the way, then stop for dinner(recharge battery) then another afternoon sail...

I am on to it:
    http://rules.dnvgl.com/docs/pdf/dnvgl/ru-yacht/2016-10/DNVGL-RU-YACHT-Pt3Ch10.pdf

I paid 1700 euro last time from shanghai to Bergen,Norway, not sure what prices are across the Atlantic from hamburg or
    similar

Thanks for the feedback, I never said it would be easy..!

3. skatun

skatun Junior Member

Bolted connections can be made strong when designed properly, the whole folding is just to make folding time quicker at the dock, so when unfolded all joints wil get bolts inserted to make it stiff enough, thats at least the idea. The two floaters will also be bolted properly on so that it will help to stiffen the hull.

I am trying to do the catamaran calculations now:
    Catamaran Design formulas http://www.catamaransite.com/catamaran_hull_design_formulas.html

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Niclas Vestman likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.