Cary Marine

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by CHICCO, Sep 4, 2003.

1. yipster

yipster designer

"I really want a bad looking boat without having to spend $20,000."
    it allready, or stil does, looks bad, it all depends on definition...
    dont shoot me, you asked and thanks for the pics WOT
    thats a great boat that deserves care :cool:

2. WOT

WOT Junior Member

I wouldn't shoot you - I am appreciative of an honest opinion - however, as to your $20,000 comment - If I put $19,999 into it right now I would have a BAD looking boat for under 20K :)

3. yipster

yipster designer

perhaps a bravo / arneson surface drive replacement? dont know the cost and then there are the engines, but hey, together with some work that will look REAL BAD.

4. WOT

WOT Junior Member

Well now that I have the boat - I have a few general questions - keep in mind I am brand new to this - my area of expertise is -IT- and not boat restoration but what the heck here goes: While inspecting the hull, stringers etc. I noticed that the decking is Teak (which is in bad shape) is it possible that the Teak was layed in without being "glassed in" My plan is to rip it all up (cannot be saved) and replace it with marine board - if the Teak was not glassed in will I need to glass in the marine board?

When the boat was set to rest in 1998 the owner removed (2) 427 big blocks as well as (2) Bravo Series III outdrives - since the boat is set up for these items I am thinking it would be best to go ahead and install the same components - all the controls are there and the original owner said that I might just need to soak the controls in oil to free them all up - is this reasonable advise and if so - how would I go about this? Now, I am sure there are probably a lot larger issues looming for me than the ones I have described but I figure I have to start somewhere.

Yipster - does your belly hurt from laughing?

I really appreciate any help/insight that can be offered.

Thanks

5. yipster

yipster designer

rolling on the floor lol and whats more... but hey, you now do have a bad looking boat :D

seriously, congrats on that boat. we got the same BIII drives (about 13.000 both) and think wot up to 40 knts they're great. going faster you want surface drives, ask arneson and let us know their pricing too, i asked them things before and they are okay guys.

getting one cr prop myself at the moment, anyone got a mercury marine 48-823668-A6 26P as second and a 48-823667-A6 26P quiksilver as front prop? we may ask Gonzo, he's a pro in I/O gear and has better advice for you on restoration than me.

6. WOT

WOT Junior Member

Thanks "I'll be here all week" - I figure 2 motors - 2 outdrives, new deck some vinyl and I'll be on the water by Sunday - bada bing bada boom.................:)

7. biomed101

biomed101 New Member

If the boat was in the columbus area the drives were not bravos, they were a very rare drive made by merc called a tr III drive. The drive was made like a trs drive but evan heavier. The spline on the prop shaft was about 2 inches diameter. These drives were used on big single engine fishing boats and work boats. If these were the drives you want to put back on the boat, the drives were sold to dubert's outdrive in Port Clinton Ohio. For the engines or for other drives go to offshoreonly.com. This site has all kinds of new and used parts for sale by owner.

8. Cary

Cary Junior Member

One of the first few boats my dad built was for an ablone fisherman in California. My dad also used to race number 17 The Donzi Diesel, it had a 600 hp Cummins Diesel on a Vee Drive

9. John Godman

John Godman New Member

TF40 Turbine engines

Cary 70',
    I have been contacted and told that the family is possibly looking for a TF40 turbine to install in the Cary 70'. If so please contact me, I have several new and used engines to offer. 203-631-6181

John

10. alex55

alex55 New Member

Cary 50

I am thinking about buying a Cary 50' (1988).. it is partially restored (hull, paint, interior, cushions) but still needs engines, drives, transmissions, full instrumentation panel and probably a host of smaller odds and ends. Questions: what engines should I install ( diesels, gas, 2 or 4 ?) and what do i need to pay a yard to finish all the work ?
    Can anyone tell me anything about a Cary 50 ? never been on one...

11. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

a couple of 1000 hp diesels would make it interesting:D

12. CaptKen

CaptKen New Member

Use to have one of the 28 Cary's. Fact its still sitting in the back of a storage yard down the street from me but owned by someone else. 1969 model and came with the 440s. Damnest running boat I've ever owned. When I bought it in 75, the engines were shot and I repowered it with 400 Chryslers and even then it would run out around 48 mph. I was told with the 440's it would top out around 60. Thickest fiberglass hull I've ever seen. I would hate to have to run that thing now with the price of fuel.

13. bigtw

bigtw New Member

hi guys:
    question on a early 80's model cary 50'.
    vessel has 4 big block chevy's, merc trs outdrives, and 1 steering cable.
    has anyone seen a problem with this design? if so, please let me know what, and what was done to repair.
    thanks

14. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

I would post this question @ www.offshoreonly.com . There are several threads on this boat. You will be able to ask specific questions to people who have first hand experiance.

15. Cary

Cary Junior Member

Gas hog with 4 times maintenance, no redundancy for steering.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.