Yamah 50 hp gear box

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by littlebaz, Aug 1, 2013.

1. littlebaz

littlebaz New Member

My old faithful Yamah has corrosion problems on the gear box housing assly.

Can this be repaired using fibreglass and it to be successful?????
    Failing this, where can I PICK UP A SECOND HAND GEAR BOX to suit????

cheers
    Baz

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Do you mean the "bore" is corroded out and it's leaking oil where the bearing carrier ring seal is ? I had one like that at one time, I confess to bodgeying it up with thickened epoxy, sanding it carefully to the right dimensions, and using a slightly thicker seal ring, plus earnest prayers. It never leaked again in the few years I continued to use it, but I may have been lucky and wouldn't press my luck by doing the same on a motor, again.

3. littlebaz

littlebaz New Member

Hi,
    the corrosion is around the fluted water intake section of the gear box housing assly.I have fibre glassed this section and it appears to have adhered to the assly, but, for how long, who knows???
    I think the best outcome will be a second hand assly, if I can find one.

but, maybe fellow members will advise me of what I can do to fix the problem.
    Also the sacrificial anode is like new...
    cheers,

Baz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.