WTF happened and can I fix it?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cthippo, Mar 7, 2011.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I think it looks cool.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

OK, I have this one available next door to you ;)

Cheers,
    Angel

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Electric Paint Burner at the right distance . . ? ?

Good Luck..!!
    Angel

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yah heat lamps might help
    if its just not working out to well can you remove the cloth and throw it in the washer and then the dryer
    shure worked on my favorite sweater when my x girlfriend decided to clean the place last fall.

and no Ward they weren't flying boats, although I did crash a few in the water, eventually I stopped using the beach as a runway, other wise you tend to mix flying and swimming allot.

5. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I tried that with control-line airplanes once. Never quite managed to get all the sand out of the engine....

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

It is strange it goes tight when it is wet, and than puckers up when it drys. That means it get longer when it is dry? How about starting out with it damp (so it is tight) and use a hot iron on it (a clothes iron) to perhaps lock it into the tight position.

I have used cotton cloth several times and never had this kind of behavior, you sure you actually got cotton and not some kind of blend? Take a scrap and burn the edge with a match, does it char or does any of it melt or bead up? That is a quick test for blends.

I am about 45 min south from you, and though I have no plans to go up your way soon, my work might take me that way and I would be happy to drop by and take a look at it and see if there is something we can try. PM me with your email or phone number so I will have it handy, something might take me North next week.

7. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Tried the iron, that didn't help. Even getting it really dry with the iron it still wrinkled when left alone

Burn test showed just cotton

Thanks, I'll take you up on that if you happen to come this way. I should be in Everett next week for an interview so it's possible I could bring it to you as well.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

try throwing a sample of he cloth of knows dimensions through the wash dry cycle and see what happens.
    if it shrinks a lot then you can guess what your next move might be

9. daiquiri

I'm not a laundry expert, but could it be related to the orientation of the fibres? Like diagonal rather than at 90° to supports/frames? Maybe laying the fibres in another way (+/- 45° respect to the actual orientation) could help?
    I'm just guessing here. Bear in mind that it takes me 10-15 minutes to iron one single shirt... :p

Cheers

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

This makes me very uncomfortable.
    Do we now need to post our CV along with our ideals???
    :p

Maybe contact these folks for advice?:

http://www.midatlanticsoaring.org/

During my 'glider phase' I spend a good amount of time at their airfield. The work on the fabric covered trainers included new skins and knowledge of every sort of challenge met in this craft.
    Nicest guy/gals in the world to boot.

11. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I'm declaring defeat on this one.

I tried a bunch of stuff without result, and today I tried wetting it enough for the material to smooth out and then applying polyurethane over it. End result? Hard waterproof wrinkles! Not the end of the world, but it does mean I'm a little held up until I come up with some more money for another piece of skin material.

So here's the question...

How much additional resistance will hard, waterproof wrinkles add. were I to go with the current skin? I don't plan to do that, but I'm curious.

Thanks everybody for your ideas and I'll be back to find out how to do this correctly when I get some more skin.

12. daiquiri

The frictional resistance (which is the most important resistance component for a low-speed rowing shell) could easily be doubled with this kind of surface imperfection.

13. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Got our first hard rain in a while and the skin tightened up , even where it was coated. Curiouser and curiouser.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya is kinda crazy
    its basically doing the exact opposite of what one would expect

15. mark775

mark775 Guest

You sealed it before you shrunk it.
    It rains in B-ham?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.