Woodworm

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by nikcross, Aug 19, 2013.

1. nikcross

nikcross New Member

I own a clinker built motor dingy built in 1954. This year I have noticed a small woodworm holes in the bow above the water line. I don't see any holes on the inside and the wood seems sound. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this. I'm new to wooden boats, so have no idea. If it was wood on land, I'd dry it out and apply a treatment, but the clinker boat needs to be kept wet as I understand it.
    Here is a picture of her:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAdM/r7aQmWY5Yl0/w1552-h929-no/IMAG0007.jpg

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

How about mixing up some thin epoxy and injecting some into each worm hole???

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

The only treatment is fresh water. Try to put your boat in a river, the worm will not survive. The colder the fresh water body the better.
    Then paint or varnish very carefully your hull. Don't let any bare wood area touching the water without paint

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you see worm damage, what you can't see will be 10 times worse, inside the wood.

Injecting epoxy in each holes sounds like a career. Fresh water works, so does drying out and poison.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Like PAR wrote, woodworms never travel alone.
    The parents are small bugs that smell of carbolic acid when you crush them. They nibble a small hole in the wood where eggs are deposited. They hatch and the small worms eat their way into the wood, making chambers large enough for them to grow.

The bugs and worms you can kill with poison, but the eggs will survive.
    I would slowly heat the affected area with a heat gun at moderate heat. Worms may come out, the eggs will be cooked.

6. nikcross

nikcross New Member

I have decided to start with the suggestion to heat the area then treat with poison. I also use a borax solution on internal wood but not sure how I would apply this to a boat. I may apply it to the inside. I will try to report back on my success or otherwise.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.