Wood sealing questions?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by scott_n06, Jul 9, 2010.

1. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Apex, epoxy comes in every kind of formula. some is in stick form, which is kneaded by hand to mix. Some is "five minute" epoxy. Some is epoxy for priming, some mixed with additives to thicken it. I recommended marine epoxy (for laminating) to simplify the answer.
    Scott, you asked about how to choose a good porch and deck enamel. First, use oil based paint. Second, I've had good luck with all the major brands and I highly recommend Benjamin Moore for durability.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

When they say plastic resin glue by Weldwood they are referring to resorcinol unless I am mistaken. Epoxy is easier for the beginner. A very small boat won't require that much epoxy unless you are wasteful. Maybe 1 quart, no more than 2 depending on the design. Got any pictures?

3. scott_n06

scott_n06 Junior Member

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Make a test piece using 1 ounce of epoxy to see how far it will go. If 1 ounce does 1 foot of seam, 1 quart should do 32 feet of seam.

5. scott_n06

scott_n06 Junior Member

Thats a pretty good thanks

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Make the calculation much easier:

in a good layup you come out with a 50 / 50% ratio of resin / glass. More likely 60% resin 40% glass in a S&G handlayup.
    Now go measure the weight of your glass tape, and there you are! Add some 10% for primering the seams (ply) prior to glassing.

Regards
    Richard