wing masts and the like on skiffs?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wind_apparent, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

------------------------------------------------
    Simon, you're pitiful. Thomas is working with Europ' Sails and one of their best people is doing his sails. The Mirabaud site is here:
    http://www2.jundt.ch/blog/
    If you look at these two swept back mains you can clearly see the one that was modified from an earlier 18 sail:

Attached Files:

2. SimonN

SimonN Junior Member

I think you are right and this is why Sean didn't take it further. In the end, it might just be too difficult. Maybe, if I can find a rig, I will simply put it in the boat as a proof of concept. After all, you don't need to get under the boom to do a straight line speed test against another boat. However, spare T rigs aren't that common in Sydney!

As for the sponsor, I have 2 sponsors who share costs - Appliances Online and the co sponsor is ....................ME! As with many 18's, it is the crew who ends up paying for development.

3. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Proof of concept or just for the hell of it would be fun. Trouble is that the devil is in the detail and you may find it gives you no real clue as to what is possible.

Given the Bethwaite's involvement with the NS14 and 18's it would be interesting to yak them about the whys and where fores. They must have considered it at some point, surly?

4. gadfael

gadfael New Member

I would suggest you talk to Alex Vallings the kiwi 12 foot skipper. Also owns a carbon tube/mast manufacturing factory.. I believe the web address is www.c-tech.co.nz

There is an article written on the first outings of the R class wing by Alex.. http://www.c-tech.co.nz/article_wingmast.htm
    A few years ago he did some work on setting up the 12 for the "R" class using a wing mast. Don't think he is still using it but its a start..

Good luck

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.