Windvane auxiliary rudder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jimthom, Jan 14, 2014.

1. jimthom

jimthom Junior Member

I have a self steering device with an auxiliary rudder. Because this limits manoeuvrability in the marina I thought I might link it to my main rudder when entering and leaving the marina so they work in tandem. The ship's rudder is a skeg-hung rudder and the auxiliary rudder for the windvane hangs from the rear of the transom, directly behind the main rudder. Do you think this will have the desired effect, i.e. improved manoeuvrability as opposed to leaving the auxiliary rudder to swing freely while steering with the ship's rudder? This pertains to reversing s well as when going forward.

Thank you,
    jimthom

2. jimthom

jimthom Junior Member

Let me re-phrase the question.

If I have a second, smaller rudder mounted directly behind the ship's rudder will I be able to execute a turn with a smaller radius than if I just use the ship's rudder? Intuitively it would seem to be the case, but in real terms?

Cheers, Jim

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I thought all those self steering rudders flipped up out of the way when not in use..?

I think it would help and can't imagine it hurting. Even though it's smaller, it's farther back so it gets extra leverage.

But, since it's farther back from the boats pivot point, it might have to turn less compared to the ships rudder, like in a car...

[​IMG]

4. jimthom

jimthom Junior Member

Thanks SamSam,

Some swing up, and others do not. Mine does, but it is too difficult/dangerous unless I'm moored in the marina. I would need to lift it in the approach to the marina and deploy it after I left the marina. It means leaving the helm as I often go solo.

I too think it could be helpful for manoeuvrability.

It is easy to synchronise the two rudders by adjusting the linkage attachment distance from the rudder post.

Cheers, Jim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.