winding carbon fiber yarns

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Schoonner, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I understand lift very well BTW, Check out my WWII aircraft for X-plane flight simulator. (You can download a free demo and fly it for 10 minutes.) I started building that way before I got the money to buy the game. I am proud of this aircraft, but I sat too long for too many months on end making her and it tried to kill me. I wish I had not given my computer away because I might be able to go back at it again if I still had it. ( www.x-plane.com )

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=12174

[​IMG]

It was nominated for 'best of the month' award about the 4th month into the build and I worked 8 months and it is still not finished. (Sadly, I only got 10 out of like 300 votes.)

It is one of the most difficult aircraft to build in the sim and make it actually fly because it gets chopped up into 11 elements per wing section of which I think there were like 20 or so, I don't remember. Anyways, it breaks it up into sections and calculates the wind and ground forces and even calculates prop wash and turbulence.

It was like building two aircraft, one that flew, and one that is a blender representation. (How I know how to use blender.)

I know how to measure airfoils, gear down to add another propeller blade and increase torque, and all kinds of stuff, but I'm forgetting it all too quickly.

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Oh dear ! where do you hide when you are awake ??
    Have you never heard of ferro cement Boats !?? First made in 1848 in France i think . Here in china there are thousands and thousands that have been made and some are still in use to this day !

Done properly and finished right its hard to tell the differance between glass and ferro . They really had there day in the 1960s and there were lots being made all over the place . Just cruise the web !!:eek:

3. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Nope never heard of it before. Then again, I've spent most of my life learning computers and deciding that there is little future in them since there just are no people hiring geeks compared to the amount of geeks out there.

Wonder if I could make a papercrete daysailer? ROFL!! Lightweight, but might crack too easy.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You're never going to learn anything playing with modeling software, except how to make pretty textures on a screen.

The a huge, massive, hi resolution arena awaiting you, far, far superior then the finest HD monitor, just go out side and enjoy it. In a boat might be helpful too.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Now i know who to point the finger at everytime something happens and the bloody thing want go properly !! Its because of all those non boating type computer picks oops sorry geeks what made this stupid thing !!
    :idea:

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Well, I happen to have built a fine 1920's schooner that loves 10 to 15mph winds. Her name is was Albatros, but I had to change it, so now she's named Battle-Sail.

I She got taken apart for refit after learning that I could double hull her, and the cat helped me loose many of the parts. I have wood, but it is oak and too thick to really work from in that scale. (I wanted oak because I love how it steams.)

EDIT:: Oh yeah, you might not know about Battle-Sail she was a wooden model kit, and I messed up some so I deviated from the plans... A LOT! LOL! She is 21 inches including bowsprit, and actually moves pretty fast in good wind considering she is carrying almost 9 ounces of guns and displaces 2 & 3/4lbs loaded. EDIT, it's more than that now... I forget though.

Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Certainly not believe what you say

8. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

9. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

My bowsprit is a pencil. Do you believe that? The one in the kit wasn't long enough for my liking. LOL!

10. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Muhuhuwawawawa!!!!! I just figured out how to GROW my own sailboat that is woven into a fractal. God used fractals when he made the earth, and everything else, I think...

How strong, reserve buoyant, fast, sleek and cool could I GROW a sailboat out of a fractal that looks like this:[​IMG]http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1134388

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

11. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Not to brag or anything, but I might be able to demonstrate that in small scale too! Muhuwawawa!!!