Why were my multiple identical posts deleted? (was 'a lot of thanks')

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by scubadude12, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scubadude12

scubadude12 Junior Member

I am new to this (boat building) and am getting ready to start my first project. I posted a few threads asking and hoping for some advice. My grandfather was big into boat building and I have always heard that boat builders were a tight community and would glady help others with ideas, input, info etc. Especially first time builders. But, so far I get the opposite impression. And my threads get deleted off of here for no reason....is asking for help against the rules here or what? My guess is the moderator did this? Why? Thanks pal...your a really nice guy!!!! :mad: If this is the case, just delete me from the member list, and I'll glady disappear, and I hope the seagulls find your next finished project a big bulls eye!

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I'm sorry scuba - I deleted three identical threads because cross posting the same thread multiple times makes things unnecessarily confusing - which one do people reply to? Do you check all four to see if someone else has replied to one of the other three already? Does everyone have to read it four times to see if there are any differences? (I didn't spot any - if I made a mistake, you have my apology in advance.)

If you have a little patience I'm sure someone familiar with that or a very similar design will comment on your original thread - here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4203

3. scubadude12

Are you saying people people can't remember what they have read?

I placed them in different catagories. Because I did not know which one would get noticed or replies. No one had seemed to pay much attention , so one them I changed the title on and cut more to point on my question, so they were not identical. And if the others had the same title, I think they can remember what they read. Obviously you found and deleted them so I guess you did not have a problem with rembering which ones they were.

4. scubadude12

And change my titles too...bow to the king

Changing my titles....since your going to change what I write so that it looks better for you to other people, and I can't do the same to you, I'll just have to let you win so you will go home to mommy happy and you can get your get your kicks playing KING <bad words removed by moderator> with everyone else on here. Play nice little boy, or your mommy might take your computer away from you.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Get a life dude.

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Scubadude, you seem like a very nice person except for the cursing, but maybe you should follow your instincts and find another place to post where you fit in better.

My original action to delete the duplicate posts was not meant to offend but only to keep the forum clean and easy to follow. I know at times it can be difficult to decide which forum to post in -- often there will be overlap between design and construction for example -- but we ask that you either pick the forum where the thread fits best and let the project discussion start there, or divide it up into separate parts appropriate for each forum (but not post the whole thing multiple times.)

7. scubadude12

No problem

Well, I was going to say that I would not let a nice guy like you, give others on here a bad reputation. Because, I am sure there are many really nice people on here, but unfortunately for me, I'll not get to meet them. I'll be glad to go somewhere else, and meet some good people in the boat building community. And a note to whoever reads this....that it very well may be re-written and changed however the moderator(God) sees fit. So I would hope that if I should come across anyone on here again that they get to know me, and not judge me by what the moderator has written. And, I wish everyone else on here the best.

8. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

The only thing rewritten in your post was the removal of one curse word where your caps lock got stuck and the change of this thread title from 'a lot of thanks' because it was a tad misleading.

9. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Jeff is god. Ditto Gonzo's comments. I read your post(s) and was contemplating a reply....until I saw this.

10. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Scubadude - boatbuilders are nice people, Jeff (the Moderator aka God) is one of the nicest you'll meet. However, this forum is HIS, and we have all got used to not having to look at the same post repeatedly. If I answer it under "design", do I have to answer it under "Building" as well?
    All he was trying ot do was cut down on waste (very boat-buildery thing ot do), not diss your posts.
    Live and let live, scuba. We'd love you to hang around, but if you feel we've pissed you off past redemption, well, that's your loss.
    Steve "not even an angel"

11. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I don't like conflict, THE PAIN!, THE PAIN!...AAACK! the psychosis is coming back.......

oooommmmmmmmm! harmony, conciliation, the middle path, these are the ways of (the boat) creator, ooooommmm!

it's not working

12. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Don't worry Thunderhead -- the conflict appears to be over now :)

As moderator, I very rarely delete a post. The only cases are:
    1.) blatent spamming
    2.) duplicate posts / cross posting
    3.) profanity or personal attacks without other content / trolling
    4.) ***** or other illegal topics

Overall, while I'm in charge of paying the bills, the forums wouldn't be worth anything without the community here so I'm always open to suggestions or even direction from the majority. For now, I feel that some very minimal cleanup duties help make the forum a nicer place.

Thanks again to everyone.

13. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

;) :D

14. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

I dont ask a lot of questions because most are answered already by this forum.
    I have learned tons by reading the answers posted by almost all the members here.
    So what I am saying to Jeff is
    THANK YOU for the forum and thanks to all the members who I have gleamed knowledge from
    Ben

15. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

How do you find multiple posts? I've noticed some in the that few days relating to an aluminum catamaran...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.