Why no aerodynamic control/stabilizer surfaces on high speed cats?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by RatliffFranklin, Jan 24, 2007.

1. RatliffFranklin

RatliffFranklin Previous Member

Fast Boats

You really don't have the least idea of what bubbas who can afford to blow three hundred grand or half a mil on a boat are buying do you?

You have completely failed so far to show the least comprehension of the fact that what I've been talking about are BOATS, thirty to fifty footers weighing 10,000 to 20,000 lbs, NOT yachts or ships.

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Now who is being literal?

In the words of Barbara Bush, why should I waste my beautiful mind?........................ I'm through with you.

As spoken to Al Franken.

3. RatliffFranklin

My first statement in this thread was...

"Isn't it past time for designers of fast cats to start incorporating vertical stabilizers, canard wings, and other variable geometry aerodynamics into fast cats? or V-hulls for that matter?"

You're the obtuse mastermind who managed to so misinterpret that simple statement you cluttered up this thread with all of your irrelevant bullsh i t.

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Which one are you?

FRANKLIN N RATLIFF Born Apr 1968 More Information on FRANKLIN N RATLIFF
    9006 133RD RD Map It Recorded: 03/01/2005 FRANKLIN N RATLIFF business listings Check Yellow Pages
    LIVE OAK, FL 32060 County (386) 364-1822 Leave a message for FRANKLIN N RATLIFF

FRANKLIN R RATLIFF Born Nov 1955 More Information on FRANKLIN R RATLIFF
    5090 HOPERITA ST Map It Recorded: 11/19/2003 FRANKLIN R RATLIFF business listings Check Yellow Pages
    ORLANDO, FL 32812 County (407) 380-6996 Leave a message for FRANKLIN R RATLIFF

FRANKLIN R RATLIFF Born Nov 1955 More Information on FRANKLIN R RATLIFF
    6955 POMPEII RD Map It Recorded: Unknown FRANKLIN R RATLIFF business listings Check Yellow Pages
    ORLANDO, FL 32822 County Leave a message for FRANKLIN R RATLIFF

FRANKLIN D RATLIFF More Information on FRANKLIN D RATLIFF
    2169 US 27 HWY Map It Recorded: Unknown FRANKLIN D RATLIFF business listings Check Yellow Pages
    PERRY, FL 32347 County Leave a message for FRANKLIN D RATLIFF

I'll be in Florida in a couple of weeks if you want to follow up on this *******.

http://forums.hotrod.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=81935&page=1&fpart=1&vc=1
    Is this you?

PROPSTERGUY@aol.com

http://dragracingunderground.com/druforum/viewtopic.php?pid=599

http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD Dec 2001/SOD-121201.htm

http://www.sonicwind.com/

5. Dan Ellison

Dan Ellison Junior Member

Back to the original topic, I have seen a few offshore race cats with tunnel flaps, these are to control airfow out of the tunnel.

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Pissing contests lose their entertainment value when they continue too long.

7. RatliffFranklin

Questions

Why is Dan Ellison the only one who understood the question and responded to it? Or even the simple fact I was talking about boats not ships?

8. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

The Ratliff Merry-Go-Round

Hey Kach,

Unless you're simply amusing yourself with the interplay, the exchange with Franklin Ratliff, or is it Ratliff Franklin, is absolutely going nowhere in your lifetime.

As an architect, you already know how clever you have to be to talk to an engineer, or is it, in this case... a pseudo-engineer. Ol' Frank is dutifully clever to himself in his desire to bate the crowd and then accuse everyone who attempts to answer his non-descriptive posturing with nastiness and a wholly insincere and derogatory flame war.

Break off the attempt and much like the vehicles of one Mr. Arfons, which Frank displays, let the dude flame-out on his own. He's rather harmless when he's burned-off all of his clothes. Not too attractive, mind you, but harmless just the same.

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Others have said it all before me, pitty as I think he may have something of value to contribute if on proper medication.

......11 freaking pages of this, welcome our new member "RatliffFranklin".

Link:
    http://forums.hotrod.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=97085&page=7&fpart=1&vc=1

I'm out of here, somebody PM me when you kick him out.:(

10. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

It is not for me to presume that an individual's critical thinking skills have become so atrophied the concept of asking questions before making conclusions is entirely alien to them. It is not for me, as a result of their making unfounded assumptions because of their inability to ask questions, to apologize for not giving them a good enough explanation. It is not for me to assume that someone, despite their complete ignorance of the fact hydroplanes aren't the only boats light and fast enough for aerodynamics to be a strong influence, will not only still blather on as if I'm the one who didn't know what I was talking about but be so childish as to blame me for THEIR unfounded assumptions.

11. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Hey Kachi - I thought you were acting out a Punch and Judy for us. I honestly thought you were playing both parts to give us some entertainment! But it turns out this guy has history elsewhere. He makes our own Frank (Mighetto) look like an ameteur.

Still, its livened up an otherwise quiet week.

PS Frank - You don't honestly expect people to answer your questions when you respond with an attitude like that, do you?

12. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

I wasn't the one needing to ask questions, *******. I was referring to the idiot who assumed "fast cats" meant 30 knot 10,000 ton ships, not 120 knot 10,000 lb BOATS, because he was so full of himself he couldn't be bothered to ask simple questions like "What sort of craft do you think are so influenced by aerodynamics they need things like canard wings and vertical stabilizers?"

13. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Yes you were, your first post was a question.

Perhaps you could have explained yourself better in the first place, rather than leaving it to us to figure out precisely what you mean. I'm sure it was a genuine misunderstanding, so why get so irate?

14. RatliffFranklin

I posed it as a question, Sherlock, because it continues to astonish me that boats not only as fast as Unlimited hydroplanes but which on occasion have blowover continue to be built (unlike hydroplanes) with no attempt at using aerodynamic devices that would greatly improve their directional and pitch stability.

It never occurred to me when I was referring to vertical stabilizers and canard wings that someone would be stupid enough to think I was talking about 10,000 ton 30 knot ships, so yeah blame me for not anticipating that the first person to answer this thread would be a *****.

15. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

My dear Watson, have a look at this http://www.monofoil.com/ It's sail powered, and not up to 125kts, but it does have several aerodynamic controls. There is a thread on this forum somewhere, about two months old, with comments from the designer. And yes, I know, its not a cat either...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.