Who makes the best foulies??

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by eponodyne, Sep 15, 2007.

1. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Hello, Shipmates;

I'm gonna be shipping out as an AB on a cargo ship for the next 4 months, starting in a few weeks; the last time I did this, I used what the company supplied and found myself soaked to the bone and beyond in short order. I want to know, what's the best value out there for deep-ocean foul-weather gear? Surprisingly, it doesn't need to stand up to terribly rigorous activity--I'm not going to be handling much of anything besides a pair of binoculars while I'm wearing it, we wait for good weather to chip paint outside-- but does need to be reasonably durable and not go to shreds on me inside of a year.

I've been looking at Gill, Henri LLoyd and the like. With the WWW and a credit card, I can buy from anywhere in the world. Thoughts, advice, comments, answers??

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Stay in the wheelhouse - the 'glass oilskin' failing that the best 'working oilskins' come from an outfit called "Guy Cotten" Originally from the south West of England (Cornwall!) used by most fishermen and merchant seamen in this part of the world! I do believe they now have a stateside outlet! Try www.guycottenusa.com Used em for years and they are GOOD!

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Who makes the best foulies

I agree with Walrus here. Guy Cotten produce good, serviceable, storm gear. Used them myself for a while - but then switched to Helly Hansen - simpy because there was a local agent 'in town' - and being a Scot - was tempted with a sweet deal. Again good serviceable gear which stood up to some rough wear. Pricey - but hard wearing.
    Have a squizz at: Hellyhansen.com.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

MEC here in Canada make some pretty good, light foul-weather gear that can stand up to whitewater rafting/kayaking and is also popular among serious sea kayakers; they don't directly target the commercial shipping market but a lot of their gear would probably do quite well in that kind of service. Being a co-op though, there are no retail outlets outside of Canada.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why is'nt temperature considered. I mean I don't want to show off or anything but if your in the tropics the best thing is nothing but the suit you were born in. I cant imagine how awkward --and dangerous it must be trying to walk about on deck in oilies.

We don't use em here --never seen any -never owned any. well just raincoat stuff, and when Ive used those I find them restrictive, I turn my head to look and all I can see is the inside if a plastic hood.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Then imagine your naked willie dangling near a working winch....:(

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Whats this "dangling" ? if its raining its cold right? There will be no "dangling" going on. Your willie will be hiding behind your liver.

Do I have to explain everything --shorts and T shirt Berg.

8. safewalrus

two faced again Frosty first you wear nothing and then you wear shorts and T shirt, make your mind up - there again it don't rain in the bar you use does it?

besides which 'dangling' mate? your probably countersunk (get an engineer to explain that word to you - if you know any! Oh you are one - yeah right;)

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sorry to disappoint you Walrus, Im sure you would be delighted to use any excuse imaginable to run around on deck with tackle out, especially if it was an all male crew.

However it shorts and T shirt please.

10. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Because it's assumed I'm smart enough to wear layers under my foulies if it's cold (Parenthetically, I'm old enough to remember when "foul weather gear" meant rubberised nylon and layers of wool. Polarfleece and Gore-Tex have made everybody's life SO MUCH beter) and strip down to track pants and a t-shirt if it's blistering hot.

Thanks for the advice, Y'all. I've expanded my options considerably now. I've used Helly Hansen in the past, working for inland river towing companies; and the HH gear worked well for two and a half years of building tow on coal barges: Grimy, hard work around lots of sharp edges and it worked great. I'm just trying to get a bigger pool of opinion to draw from.

11. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Sorry to tell you this Walrus but Guy Cotten is not from england but France. The original store is in the south west side of Brittany, France (Concarneau). Your local store is a stateside outlet :)

Murielle (from Concarneau)

12. safewalrus

Murielle - absolutly right of course, but as Brittany is one of the six Celtic Nations we're all related anyway

My LOCAL store in actually in Cornwall, were most of their early gear was made after they fled France to escape from something or other, one normally does!

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The Cornwall store only specializes in oversize clothing to accomodate obesity.

14. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

grundions,and or a stearns parka ,,,they float

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D