Who made my boat?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by jeff goldberg, Jan 1, 2008.

1. jeff goldberg

jeff goldberg Junior Member

I have a wooden lapstrake boat made in the sixties I believe ,and the name on the side says "White" .Who made this boat originally? I used to have the information but have missed placed it. No numbers on the boat I have looked. I do have a serial number on the registration that I think I got from the state from the preivous owners information they had. I found some of my info and if it's correct this boat is a 19 foot White Runabout weighing about 950 Lbs. Can that number on the registration tell me anything about this boat. This boat project is comming right along. New frames ,new windshield , all new fasteners silicon bronze.Look forward to your input. Who made my boat? And why can't I find any information on the web on this boat? Thanks Jeff

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Possibly E M White, upon whose designs many Old Town Canoe Co. are or were modelled. Old Town Canoe built many runabouts. I don't know, but suspect they built lapstrake boats, and maybe E M White did too.

alan

3. jeff goldberg

Yes your correct.Upon doing a littel digging I finally found some ind=fo on E M White and White Canoe.Thanks again.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Makes sense too, since you're in Maine. I'm two towns from Old Town. around here, I see a lot of old White and Old Town boats.

A.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Hi Jeff, is that same White we discussed a year or so ago?

The registration number on the title is very likely a state issued number. This is often the case, especially if the manufacture didn't provide a plate with a serial number, easily visible. White's did come with a manufacture's plate, but they were often removed or damaged beyond repair during re-finishing.

How far along are you? I remember you had some rib replacement and localized rot issues you were sorting out. I also remember your desire to re-clench the old gal. Lets see some pictures of your progress.

I'm going to put a new finish on a White I restored a few years back this spring. It'll be nice to see how the old lady held up these last few years.

6. jeff goldberg

Yes this is the same boat we discussed PAR .I will try to upload pictures of some of the work I have done. The windshield is giving me fits but I'll get there it's just a matter of time. The ribs replaced equals forty total almost everyone stem to stern.I didn't do the bow and the last couple in the stern as I didn't want to tear the the rear decks off to do it and they are actually in pretty good shape. Coming right along hope to have it in late next summer.Wish me luck.As far as history on the maker of this boat if in fact it was made by old town canoe the only history i can find is on there canoe's and a small mention of them building boats like mine. Thanks again.
    Jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  7. jeff goldberg

Well i figured out my mistakes on the windshield and after taking it all apart again I am making progress.Any one ever use Gorilla glue what did you think of it?

8. PAR

Some people love it, I'm not one of them. Use it on some test pieces and see what you think before committing to it's use Jeff. It isn't an attractive glue if a glue line is exposed. I'd use a more traditional adhesive, like aliphatic resin (TiteBond III) plastic resin or epoxy. The windshield has lots of glue lines, so a PL (Gorilla glue) wouldn't be my choice.

Work clean because any drips, runs or screw ups will be plainly visible on that mahogany.

9. jeff goldberg

Yes it does stain but if I work clean it sands off nicely.I would prefer to use the tightbond 3 .you think that would be ok on this windshield seeing that it will be stained and urethaned. #3 does say its waterproof.I really dont want to use a two part.The gorilla stuff seems to work well but you have to be careful of the exspansion.making great progress on the windshield finally.Boy is it going to look nice on that boat.The boat has never had a windshield since i have owned it.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

every time i see the words old town canoe i miss home,,i've taken an old town around mdi once,,,my arms still hurt!

11. PAR

TiteBond III just barely passes the type I water proof test, but it will serve you nicely on the windshield, unless you plan on sinking her regularly and softening up the glue lines on the windshield.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.