which rules should i select

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by kalvens, Sep 3, 2014.

  1. kalvens
    Joined: Mar 2010
    Posts: 11
    Likes: 0, Points: 1, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: china

    kalvens Junior Member

    there is a tug boat need to naturalization abs classification.
    which abs rules should i see?
  2. daiquiri
    Joined: May 2004
    Posts: 5,373
    Likes: 247, Points: 73, Legacy Rep: 3380
    Location: Italy (Garda Lake) and Croatia (Istria)

    daiquiri Engineering and Design

    I don't know what does the expression "naturalization abs classification" mean.
    But the rules to be followed are generally chosen by the shipowner and is declared in the SOR (Statement of Requirements).
  3. NavalSArtichoke
    Joined: Oct 2013
    Posts: 431
    Likes: 8, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 83
    Location: GulfCoast

    NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

    The ABS Rules are subdivided by vessel length and type of service.

    For a small vessel like a tug, there are a couple of different ABS rules which could apply:

    1. Steel Vessels for Service on Rivers and Intracoastal Waterways
    2. Steel Vessels under 90 Meters in Length

    (1.) would apply to a tug not intended to go offshore, like a harbor tug. (2.) would be used for a tug which would go offshore and possibly be large enough to require a load line, like a large salvage tug or a tug to be used to transport large floating objects between ports.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.