Where to get laminate drawing help for catamaran build? NA or Composite Engineer?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Ismotorsport, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Ismotorsport

Ismotorsport Junior Member

Gotya Gonzo,
    I assume that just involves turning layers on/off on rhino correct? To better isolate the different structures?

2. groper

groper Senior Member

Can the person who did the 3D renderings, give you the actual CAD files so that it can be opened, dimensioned, all the surface areas pulled from it, and eventually lofted? or are these images all you have?

Did you/he have any discussion on the rig design? - large part of the structural design is directly related to the sail rig...

3. Ismotorsport

Cat builder,
    Appreciate the sympathy... M&M doesnt sell kit plans. You are correct in the likeness to their designs... (A little hint there about who worked on it). I would rather not have to start from scratch but it does seem like I am in a bind otherwise. I was hoping with the laminate info and structural framing already designed with the future engineering in mind that someone like a composite engineer could help with the laminate details and drawings. At least for the major structural parts. May need to discuss my problems with the NA and see what he suggests I do....?

4. Ismotorsport

I have all the CAD files and are proprietary to me not the design company, as per my agreement before the work began. I have 3dm files also of sailplan, etc.

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Oh, you are further along that we were thinking. You keep revealing a little more here and there. :)

If you truly have all the boat designed with sail plan and everything else mentioned in the other thread, you should definitely be able to pick up someone to help with the laminate details and drawings.

Maybe you are not in as much of a bind as it first seemed if you have all of that.

Yes, I would definitely talk to your existing NA for a moment and ask him for a referral to someone who could help finish up the design so you can get started. What's good about that approach is that he will know the new designer that can put the finishing touches on. The new designer can call him up and ask a quick question if needed.

If he had to leave the project to move on, I'm sure if he's not a total jerk, he'd be happy to suggest someone to you.

6. Ismotorsport

I am glad to hear there may be a glimmer oso hope on the horizon cat builder... I was really starting to beat myself up about it... If you are interested in taking a look at the rhino file for the purpose of interest or giving some advice p email me @ ismotorsport@yahoo.com

Sorry if I did not present enough info about what i had completed already withmthe NA..
    In fact I have a call with him this evening to talk about my dilemma...

1 person likes this.
  7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Sorry, I'm not qualified for that. I am an "on the water" marine professional. I hired a designer to design my boat and we are building it now. Soon, well, it seems like forever from now... ha ha ha... it will be in the water and I'll be back in business.

I'm not a NA or even close to one. I just know boats from many years of experience using them and maintaining them.

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

The 3/4" foam sounds thin

9. Herman

Herman Senior Member

It is not uncommonly thin. Especially in the USA.

Funny thing is that in the USA foam cores usually are specd thinner than average, and in Scandinavia thicker than average. (with thicker and thinner skins as a result).

Anyhow, about any part has an optimum core thickness, based on many variables.

10. Ismotorsport

[​IMG]

Structural grid rendering. The longeron is not mounted under the mast and there is a grid under the mast area that is not shown. There may be a need for additional ring frame forward between the first two bulkheads either side as well as in the galley/ salon areas of each hull. (I believe that depends mainly on core thickness and laminate, correct?)

1 person likes this.
  11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Yeah that is a funny thing, vessels of that length that I'm familiar with use about 50% thicker, of course there is variables for service use, speed, stiffener spacing & some times differing core thickness & density in various areas of hull. The 3/4" may well be fine but when some thing "red flags" as different to that which is familiar & known as adequate to oneself it's time to speak up. Jeff.

12. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Of course. But there are too many factors involved. To my personal feeling it is on the thin side, but as we do not know the laminate, what can we say?

The picture of the frames does enlighten us somewhat.

Catbuilder is right, a laminate for such a structure is not easy to "crowdsource". You can get close quickly, if you are lucky enough to find someone with a similar boat, and willing to share, but it can be a dangerous guess/assumption.

13. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I agree, the work of a qualified & experienced in type/style of vessel NA is valuable & - the building can progress with confidence, time/money/material will be saved in a more optimal structure. Jeff.

1 person likes this.