Where does all the resin go ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 10, 2012.

1. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Not me, Last time I sailed Frisco was Late 90's and I haven't raced in about 10 years , mostly cruise local lakes and go down south every now and then

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Where Does The Resin Go !!

Have ya never heard the storys of polyestermites ?? :eek:
    they been round for donkey years !! they slowly eat you boat away and before ya know it ya standing knee deep in wet stuff !!:confused:

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

a very quick search reveiled that they on the loss again !!

This specially for Mr Frosty ,so hitch up ya skirt and sit and read !!

What To Do About Polyestermites

By Don Baker, JN

Not many years ago the entire boating industry and every boater learned
    about a new problem with fiberglass boats, osmotic blisters. A walk through
    a boatyard will reveal that the problem is still with us, but boatyards have
    learned to deal with this expensive problem. At least, a cure was found,
    and boat builders seem to have developed resins and application methods that
    have substantially, although not completely, reduced the problem in new
    boats.

And now the Environmental Protection Agency has alerted boaters to a new and
    equally expensive problem with the gelcoat on fiberglass boats. Like the
    Zebra Mussels that first invaded the Great Lakes and killed off oysters and
    clams and completely fouled water intakes on boats, we are now alerted to
    the problem of polyestermites. They were first noted in the Bahamas, and
    then a few were detected in Florida. It is assumed that they were
    transported to Florida by boats spending the winter in the Bahamas and then
    returning to Florida in the spring.

Like the Zebra Mussels, they were not native to U.S. waters, but with today's
    mobile society, critters in one part of the world are easily transported to
    another. If the environment is hostile the transported species soon die
    off. The EPA has been tracking the spread of Zebra Mussels for the past
    several years to see just how far the infestation will spread. There is not
    much they can do about them at this time, but ocean scientists are still
    searching for a method to control them.

Nothing has been written in the boating press at this point about
    Polyestermites. However, this spring their infestation was noted as far
    north as Rhode Island. Scientist had thought that Polyestermites could not
    survive in the colder northern waters, but the New Jersey Department of
    Environmental Protection has now issued an alert for New Jersey boaters. An
    obscure article in the Federal Register has not received much attention by
    the press, but you can be certain that the pages of our boating magazines
    will soon carry large, bold headlines about this new problem for boaters.

So what the heck are Polyestermites, and what is the problem. They are
    small barnacle size snail-like creatures that attach themselves to bottoms
    of boats, pilings and bulkheads. They seem to have an affinity for boats,
    however, because most are now made of fiberglass.

Other than their slimy appearance, they do no damage to pilings and
    bulkheads. Fiberglass boats, however, are another matter. Polyestermites
    are not deterred by anti fouling paints, and, in fact, they seem to thrive
    on it. They eat their way through bottom paint, and then have gelcoat for
    desert. They seem to secrete a substance that dissolves gelcoat into a
    paste that is then consumed. What is left are areas about the size of a
    dime where the gelcoat is completely gone leaving the fiberglass and resin
    exposed to salt water. Interestingly, Polyestermites can not survive in
    fresh water, but most of us operate our boats in salt water.

The Federal EPA has prepared a twenty-page booklet fully explaining
    Polyestermites, and the procedure for their detection and repair of their
    damage. It also discusses preventive measures we can take to prevent their
    damage.

Whereas New Jersey is just now being invaded by Polyestermites, it is
    something with which we boaters will have to deal. The EPA says this
    booklet will be placed on its web site, but that probably will not occur
    until winter. In the meantime, we can obtain copies from the EPA in
    Washington. If you would like to have a copy of the free booklet, you may
    order one through my e-mail address, , or by leaving your
    name on my answering machine at the number listed in the roster.

Once the gelcoat is consumed and the fiberglass and resin exposed to the
    water, the water begins to degrade the fiberglass resulting in expensive
    repair. Repair is similar to that for osmotic blisters. The gelcoat has to
    be taken down to the fiberglass, and several coats of special resin that
    these pests seem to abhor has to be applied, and the bottom then painted
    with antifouling paint. Whereas the antifouling paint itself will still be
    attacked by Polyestermites, they can not penetrate into the fiberglass. And
    since most of us haul our boats during winter, other than pockmarks in the
    paint, no further damage is done.:mad:

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

its not to be sneezed at heres another case history !

STORY: Polyestermites on Proxie
    Summer was gone but the sun burned brightly as the pace around Lake Tahoe slowed. The morning-coffee gatherings of the boatyard gang tended to stretch out toward noon even though snow and skiing still were not yet on the agenda.
    On a Wednesday in mid September as a high-pressure system hovered over the area, many boats appeared on the lake. They provided a booster shot in the lull between seasons.

Everyone wandered out into the sunshine for look-see in the mid-afternoon. A graceful, cutter-rigged sloop came smoothly up from off Sugar Pine Point. She was a pretty sight even with her loose mainsail; she was alive and in keeping with the sparkling day and its whisper of autumn.

After one false start the skipper tacked, eased the sheets, and brought Proxie gently alongside the empty, outer dock of the boatyard. Uncle Ken, a regular, was parked in a faded, plastic-strap yard chair on the dock. He raised himself with his arms and ambled over to take a line from the skipper, a tall man with a shiny head and a giant mustache.

"I'll handle it myself," instructed the skipper sharply as he made ready to drop onto the dock from mid-ship. But he caught the toe of his back foot on the top lifeline as he high-stepped to clear it. With a thud his body made its acquaintance with the timbers, shoulder first; he dropped his white dock line in the process. Proxie, still moving, separated from the dock. With an effort, Uncle Ken bent over and grabbed the dropped line before it slithered into the clear water.

By this time other observers had arrived in force. Quietly, order was restored as Proxie was secured fore and aft. It was obvious to those gathered that the skipper had some parts wounded, in addition to his ego. Without a word to anyone, despite several offers of help, the tall man re-boarded his boat, limping, and he disappeared below. Eyebrows raised, shoulders upped, the group dispersed. Uncle Ken returned to his chair in the sunshine.

The Next Morning
    Around nine the tall man came ashore and meandered through the boatyard toward the office where he could pay his bill for the night of moorage. He deliberately picked his way through a few sloops on braces, handsome powerboats on blocks, one derelict on 55-gallon barrels, and several boats on trailers ready to go down the hill for the winter. Two guys were busy with power sanders on the hull of one sailboat that was about Proxie's size. They were grinding away the fiberglass surface from stem to stern.

Tall man stopped to watch. Algae, old bottom paint, and white dust flew in all directions. As he edged closer, he could see the bottom looked like a teenager with acne. There was a random pattern of small craters and blisters. The sloop had a bad case.

Boat Acne
    He ducked beneath the boat. Poking the ends of his index and middle fingers into two of the holes, he yelled, "What are these holes?" at one of the goggled guys holding a sander. The guy shook his head. "Can't hear you," he shouted over the sound of the sanders. "Ask Bill about it," and he gestured with his shoulder and elbow toward the nearby office.

"Those are blisters," Bill replied matter-of-factly after tall man stumbled through the open door and across the threshold. Bill had overheard the shouted question.

"What causes blisters?" tall man asked, with a frown on his face.

"Many fiberglass boats get them," Bill continued. Proxie's skipper squirmed a bit.

"Well, I'm sure I don't have to worry about blisters," tall man said unconvincingly. "Do they appear suddenly?" he rushed on.

Bill paused, looking down at the cluttered desk in front of him. He was undecided on what tack to take. "No, they take time to develop. You're probably okay. Just keep an eye on your hull."

"I just purchased Proxie this week, down at South Shore. They told me it was in perfect condition, except for a few scratches here and there. The skipper shifted his weight from one foot to another as he unconsciously rubbed his shoulder.

"Did you get the boat surveyed before you bought it?" inquired Bill, innocently.

Tall man didn't answer. He didn't need to. "What causes the holes?" he pressed on with some trepidation.

"The blisters are caused by polyestermites," Bill drawled in an even tone. It had been a long summer. "You see," he continued, "polyestermites are little bugs that crawl up dock lines onto plastic boats, particularly those in marinas. The mites seem to like party boats best; pieces of wine cork and cracker crumbs are their favorite foods. The mites sneak aboard, eat what they can find, and then they burrow into the hull from inside as they try to work their way back to the water. A few make it all the way through the hull and that causes chunks of fiberglass to pop out. Other mites get trapped in the fibers, die, and bloat, and that causes the blisters," Bill deadpanned.

Tall man looked grim. "How does one prevent them?"

"Well, you see," Bill twinkled and tightened his upper lip slightly, "you can do one of two things." He was warming to the task before him. "You can play a lot of classical music when you are in your slip, especially at night. The mites don't like classics for some reason, and it tends to keep them out of the boat.

Or..." and Bill paused, "you can use black, braided dock lines. The mites lose their sense of direction in the dark braid, die of hunger, and fall into the water before they get aboard. Smart skippers I know do both. They shift to black lines AND play Bach tunes when they aren't aboard.":confused:

Tall man looked suspicious, but he nodded, paid his overnight stay, and returned to Proxie. There he dove into a catalog containing a wide selection of colored dock lines.
    :p:D:eek:

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

See its spreading again !!!!

This organism is capable of injesting polyester resin in the solid state. It was recognized many years ago in England, but has been kept secret by the petroleum industry whoo supplies polyster resin for boat building.Much information has been classified, but marine zoologists have shared that this creature may have evolved from the gribble, (lignoria lignorum), which eats wooden boats.

More details are available, but I cannot post them. I will share what I know for a few Sam Adams. Call for an appointment.

:( oh my God !!!

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Tunnels,
    Where did you get that stuff ? EXCELLENT READ.... :D :p :p Keep it up...

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Silly people being themselves !!

When you been alive as long as i have you see all kinds a things . this polyestermite thing was all the rage and really caused a stir in the 1980s and some people never did see the funny side and got quite angre about it if you tried to take the mickey !!:eek:

8. masalai

masalai masalai

I think I have :D I was after the link :eek: :p - I was in remote regions of Melanesia during the 80's... - - - You may see something of interest :eek: - see my post on 'Boat Jokes' to do with taking things literally in the bible...

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, here's an important part of it. The stuff is insidious, it ought to be outlawed worldwide. :mad:

12. groper

groper Senior Member

LMAO, di hydrogen monoxide... for those of you who dont know the dangers of DHMO, its otherwise known as H20, or water... :D does kill alot people everyday tho... :D

suckers...

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Scoff all you want! You'll see, and probably too late!
    Here's just some of the places it's been a factor....:eek:

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

i found a picture of just one of the little blighteres

Here we go !! a frosty special . If ya get enough they good steamed and on a slice of fresh bread buttered and thousand island dressing !!:p:);):D:p

Attached Files:

15. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Have ya tasted polyestericed butter? That's the strongest flavour there is. Beats Habaneros 5 to 0..