Where do you draw the line... Steal/Copy/Borrow/Immitate ideas & concepts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ErikG, Feb 24, 2005.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

2. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

3. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

No problem

Tom,

The little knowledge I have about these matters comes from my being an inventor - I am not a lawyer.

In my understanding there's nothing for you to worry about or be concerned about- A patent is a legal "sword" not a "shield", which means that if they think you're infringing on their intellectual property rights (I.E. patent) they need to sue you and prove the validity of their claims as well as prove damage caused by your infringement.
    If these guys get a patent (which I doubt), and if indeed what they claim is identical to what you've been offering years before, or even if what they claim would be obvious to any person "versed in the art" that knows your product - their claims are void and their patent not valid

It would be nice of you to notify them about your "prior art" by registered mail -It could save them a lot of trouble and $$, and they should thank you for letting them know about it.

BTW-- Since you didn't patent your invention in time you cannot claim anything from them or from anybody else.

4. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

The designers who were good enough to give me a bit of mentoring have told me," If you look at one boat, it's stealing, if you look at several, it's research." I think I know what they meant.

5. doesitfloat

doesitfloat Junior Member

When I was in Naval Architecture class the first step on a design was to gather as many similar designs as possible. Comparing hull lines, power configuations, electrical requirments, General arangements. Gave a good starting place for a design. What is someone patenting the idea of putting the bow in the front.

6. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

Is it?

doesitfloat,

In my opinion, the bow can sometime be described as the part of the boat that's the closest to where you're heading :D
    For example: The small paddling boat I invented can be made symmetrical - back and front, so that if you get stuck in shallow water you can turn inside it and paddle in the direction you came from.
    Also, after you took it out on a beach and you want to go on paddling you don't have to turn the boat to face the water.
    It looks like a little "semantic" thing, but I was surprised to see that outfitters and people who rent boats actually appreciate it...

BTW-- I don't think there's something really new about this :)

7. preacherman

preacherman Junior Member

You're right Thunderhead;
    if you copy from one it is theft, if you copy from two it is scientific research. Just be keen enough to mention the sources..