Where did we go wrong?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Nov 29, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Great. I went to Amazon, and found a 'used - like new' hardbound copy for $0.65 plus $3.99 shipping. Now I have one more book to shuffle between our two homes, my workplace, my pickup and my motor home, until I have no idea where I've left it. That's why I put everything I can on my Kindle instead, these days.:D

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion. It isn't the book I was thinking of, but I'm willing to bet it's also full of other useful information.

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

But you can't sniff a Kindle. Or actually you can, but it doesn't smell as good as a book. That's the biggest drawback of the e-book technology. ;)

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

It's a strange book, when compared to modern reference design manuals. Like entering an old-style family-run grocery store where you can find everything that the owner thinks you might find useful - from copper nails and sand paper, to aspirin, orange juice and tin music box. And then you find out that it doesn't have, for example, a bottle of milk - because the old guy doesn't like milk...
    But don't worry, you'll see that it was a well-spent money. :)

4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Sniffing books? I have lost so many volumns to mildew living in tropical Florida and Mexico, I can't count that high. But they all smelled terrible. Failing memory, Troy? Even youngsters suffer.
    Like young college student Mr Brown, who automatically raised his hand in response to proffessors question, "Who can tell us what electricity is?" He quickly jerked his hand down, but proff saw him and invited him to tell. Lamely, Mr Brown lamented he knew a minute ago but just forgot. Proff announced solemnly, "Only two persons know what electricity is. God and Mr Brown. God ain't telling, and Mr Brown forgot. Tadgedy of tradgedies!"

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I think the biggest drawback is that many of the books I like have illustrations that don't translate well to the small, black-and-white screen of my Kindle. Sometimes I can get around that by reading them on the Kindle for PC program I have on my laptop, though.

Mostly I consider my Kindle a substitute for paperback books. I read things like westerns, science fiction, topical political books, etc. You know... stuff that doesn't need pictures.

But I have to say this: I bought a leather cover for it a couple of months ago. It wasn't cheap -- but it feels good and smells good, and gives the Kindle just enough heft to make it feel like I'm holding a book instead of a toy.

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Was that shipbreaker's Levin Metals in Richmond CA maybe 1969-70? Because a Texas cowboy tugboater/piledriver I worked for bought 20 of those boats for I remember $2000, I think 39' feet the ones we got.
    We towed them across SF bay with a slim 50' wood tug he'd shoehorned 3 GMC 6/71s into (indescribable engine room), a great clanging herd of obedient steel sheep behind and sold them for $500 each.
    Of course when we arrived with this fleet of open boats, everybody (at least 20 people) got wasted and went for a.... not a row, but an interesting experience of pushing a vertical lever in front of you back and forth, all the many levers between the thwarts moving together. The inertia of all the levers, rods and linkage, shaft and prop as you described, made it all keep going quite well without undue effort once the hull got moving.
    A couple were made into sailboats, and the rest became illegal houseboats on the flourishing wild west Sausalito waterfront of the time and at least three are still afloat there. The thing with the potato chip roof is one of them, with an epoxy and cloth skin on the thin steel bottom.
    I know a clip of that afternoon is in the film 'Waldo Point' by Saul Rouda, a student documentary, if you can find it.
    His later feature film 'Last Free Ride' is available and is worth a look and may have the clip in it. I just remember lots of beer and other things and babes, lots of babes.
    http://www.lastfreeride.com/
    http://www.buoyantlife.net/index.ph...0:becky-thatcher&catid=37:sausalito&Itemid=97

Attached Files:

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I like that. The first time I heard something like it was years ago, when some famous poet was questioned about an obscure passage in one of his poems. He replied, "when I wrote that years ago, God and I knew what I meant. And I have forgotten."

Alas, I have forgotten which poet it was. But one of the perks of growing older is that now I have an excuse for my absent-mindedness and capricious memory.

8. Yobarnacle

3 old gents in wrinkle city florida, widowers all, have breakfast together daily. one remarks he now knows the meaning of true happiness. It was when he was younger and could urinate without pain. An older amigo refutes that happiness is the ability to have a BM pailessly. Third remarks, " I'm oldest here, yet I pee like a race horse every morning around 7am, and a complete satisfying evacuation of bowels around 8am." The two friends are astounded and agree with awe, he must be a happy man indeed. "Not exactly", he says with chagrin, "I don't wake up till 9am."

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

drifting

ok so I"m betting this couple doesn't thing the Galley is a waste of space

[​IMG]

and this one has got to entail some real teamwork

[​IMG]

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Have you seen the http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/open-discussion/boat-jokes-we-need-few-laughs-14472.html thread?

11. Yobarnacle

Ok...sorry for posting off topic.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK, you guys are killing my bookshelf space. Just ordered a used copy of that one, too.

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

we're all guilty but ya, there is a great boat jokes thread

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

No apology please. It wasn't a criticism.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

[​IMG]

very cool mini cruising cat also bound to have a galley :D