Where did we go wrong?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Actually thermos's are too complicated for me. Keeps hot things hot and cold things cold? Yeah? Well, I put some soup and some jello in one, and it was a dissapointment

1 person likes this.
  2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

My last what I term super ice box was made of a fiberglass box core, gelcoated inside surface with 6 in. ridgid foam (sheets cut) on all exterior surfaces including the weighted top lid sitting on wide foam gaskets. Boston you just gave me an idea to make it even better--Sheet it with the reflectix on the glass box before fastening the 6in. ridgid insulation. We freeze big pop bottles of drinkiable water as the coolent initally which usually lasted 3 days. As they thawed out we had nice cool water to drink for the next 2 days. 4 to 5 days coolent and after that it was whatever ice we could get our hands on --usually just bag ice.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you could make it a lot thinner if you just use the reflectix. Rigid foam is about an R5 pr inch I think it is. You get about the same with 1/4 inch of reflectix. Might as well stack eight pieces and end up with that magic R40

Oh and whenever we go to Yellowstone we do basically the same. But we buy block ice after that and keep it up out of its own melt. Lasts about four days.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Wow didn't realize it had that R factor--Better i go back and read their site more carefully.We like the frozen bottled water because after 3 days we can always get a cold drink on a hot day for several days after the melting starts. We do the same with motorhome trips, By the time we get to the North Carolina border that cold spring water from our own well is great to sip on. We operate on our own artesian well here 160ft. deep- cold and pure requiring no treatment before drinking. --

5. Yobarnacle

Thanks Hoyt and Viking. Got this off the reflective site: If You Install 2 Layers of a Reflective Insulation, Does the R-value Double?
    With multiple layers of product and airspaces between each layer, enhanced performance will be gained. If the product is simply “doubled” (with no air space between the layers), a very minimal benefit is obtained (R-1.1 (per layer) for the Reflective/Double Bubble product).
    Could work to advantage combined with rigid foam. Wonder if it has any value as sound deadening insulation?

6. Yobarnacle

Thought of an advantage to the neodium magnet fridges if I build them. If I had unwanted guests aboard who couldn't take a hint that their visit was finished, starting up those whining magnets would get folks motivated to be somewhere else I bet.

7. Yobarnacle

Even if the fridges never work, I could pretend I needed to run the magnets to charge the icebox. Yall come back now, ya hear?

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well since the post is about galleys/recipies/cooking why not just cook up a good feed of home made beans, a cheaper solution and one has to eat anyhow, that should move populations away from the boat :p seconds anyone ???? Where did everbody go ---

9. Yobarnacle

thanks Boston

10. Yobarnacle

An organ recital huh? Wouldn't work for me. Unfortunately, my flatulence doesn't stink.

11. Yobarnacle

Goodnight gentlemen

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well on that NOTE (trombone) I'm off to the bunk 1:26 am here

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Great jumpin Jebus I've been mistaken for Hoyt. Pardon me while I go wash up a little.

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Heavens forbid!

Now I feel dirty too.

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The Gods above and below are roarin with laughter on that clash: Sorry I couldn't refrain myself :p

1 person likes this.