Where can I find the IMO file?

Discussion in 'Stability' started by xichyu, Apr 25, 2016.

1. xichyu

xichyu Junior Member

IMO“When we calculate the righting arm of a ship,the results of two-dimensional space and three-dimensional space are different.”
    Where can I find the IMO file?

2. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

You're going to have to provide more information about what you're doing in order to make sense of your question.

3. xichyu

xichyu Junior Member

I am sorry about it
    it is a Chinese article,there is only one sentence about it
    And I translate it to English is “When we calculate the righting arm of a ship,the results of two-dimensional space and three-dimensional space are different.”

4. Joakem

Joakem Junior Member

??

Hi,
    It may help us help you if you describe the article

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A two dimensional analysis will consider only a planar section. A three dimensional analysis will consider a volume. They will obviously produce different results since you are analyzing different things.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Gonzo, it seems that you know well what the OP is talking about. So, because I do not understand anything, let me ask you: what is "A three dimensional analysis" "When we calculate the righting arm of a ship"? . The truth is that I feel very curious. Are you both talking about the cross curves of stability represented in 3 dimensions?.
    Thank you.

7. Niru

Niru Mr.

Good Pm.

Maybe the OP is referring to the "curve of stability" as where in combining the statical stability curve and cross curve.

only my opinion.

please check the attached file if acceptable.

it is possible to have a different righting arm value due to different displacement at different heel angle, also the heel angle rely on the VCB of the underwater body of the vessel where it also change its location everytime the heel angle changes. (does it make sense? :confused:)

Attached Files:

8. Niru

Niru Mr.

now im confused with my own opinion...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.