where are they now.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Or, if really desperate, try to use an oar to steer with if one is available.

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

When the boat is built to accept one, the IPS is a plug and play system and completely standard from boat to boat. Much like an outboard in this respect. That has lots of value in some applications but not so much when operated where the pod exposure is at risk. That alone would rule them out for me. Manufacturing and service both have benefits from the standard package. Forward facing props is another negative maintenance issue IMO.

Driving an IPS is very good as the system provided optimum control of banking in turns among some other features. I would rate docking as superior to thrusters too, especially in difficult weather and current situations. Frankly, I enjoyed driving one.

Price is out of my limits and anyone I deal with so may never have another go at one.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

where are they now

Stern drives and outboards do not kick up when striking an object or the bottom because the thrust is always pushing the drive against the object until power is stopped or the drive is smashed and the angle of the stern drive or outboard is all wrong when it starts to tilt back and pushes the stern of the boat down.
    With the Smart Drive only the shaft and prop are deflected with a cam like action. Smart Drive can run in S/P or subsurface mode at any shaft angle
    with efficiency of horizontal shaft with the right prop. You can just have only the prop and shaft in the water if you do not want any protection for the prop.Could you find any other propulsion with less drag than that?

4. myark

myark Senior Member

So cool

Attached Files: