What's your poison?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Willallison, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I don't know about you guys, but I'm forever on the hunt for new books - and in particular magazines about all things that float. I can rarely satisfy my thirst for more info... I drop into my newsagent on an almost daily basis, waiting for the next issue to come out. And when it does, I devour it within a few hours and then the hunt and anticipation begins all over again!

With this in mind, I thought it might be good to let one another know which mags (and books) you read on a regular basis.....

Personally, I go for Passagemaker ( www.passagemakermagazine.com ) Professional Boatbuilder ( www.proboat.com ) and Motorboat & Yachting ( www.mby.com )

Also, Trawlerworld, previously an online mag are putting out a new magazine. Register your interest and they'll send you a copy of the 1st issue for free ( http://www.trawlerworld.com/magazine.htm )

So - your turn - gimme some leads, so I can satisfy my addiction....:p

2. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Being an old 'woody' type of person, ahem.

Classic Boat, Watercraft both Brit mags
    the French one, Chasee Marine(sp)

I had subs for all and some that you mentioned but they all blow hot and cold so now I scan each issue at the booksellers before purchase.

I do get Pro Builder, Marine Engineering Log, Workboat by subscription.

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

My addiction runs as deep as or deeper than Will’s. WoodenBoat, Boatbuilder, and Pro Boatbuilder by subscription. Boat Design Quarterly, when ever it comes, about once or twice a year. Epoxyworks is in the box a few times a year. I buy Classic Boat, Water Craft, 3D World, and Passagemaker whenever they interest me. I’m thinking of starting a subscription to MAIB. Also in the last ten years I have bought over 100 books both new and used related to boat building and design. So let’s not be telling the wife, OK. :eek:

Gary :D

4. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Gary...

So where do you hide all the stuff from the wife? :D

I decided to actually tell my wife about it, but it's not always so easy to get an understanding of WHY I need all these mags and books...

I read teo swedish mags to keep myself updated locally.
    Proffesional Boat Builder, Yachting world UK and any othe magazine I can find in my newspaperstore. I also try to buy as many good books as I can find, and I feel that the book list on the site needs to be developed somewhat.

5. Willallison

OOH! Gary - you have a problem!:D :eek:
    Not like me, of course - I just had to sell my house so I could buy a bigger place with room to store all my mags!!
    Actually I was lucky enough to pick up about 40 back-issues of WB at a garage sale a week or so back - for $30 AUD :D

Boat design quarterly - how can I track that down....?
    ....and watercraft - what's that about Dave?......

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh, dear! They (whomever "they" are) say that the first step in recovering from an addiction is the recognizing of the true depth and magnitude of your addiction. If so, I shouldn't do what I am about to do, because I am quite happy in my dependance and do not want to continue on the path to salvation!

Lessee, mags that I buy...

Professional Boatbuilder
    WoodenBoat
    Multihulls
    Passagemaker
    Classic Boat
    Boat International
    Cruising World
    National Fisherman
    Canadian Yachting
    PowerBoat
    Ship Technology
    Tugs & Harbours
    Yacht International
    Ocean Navigator

... plus around ten or so marine design, technology, or history related texts per year.

(I got it ba-a-ad, haven't I?)

7. duluthboats

BDQ

It appears that WB is the only place you can get BDQ. The last few years the copies have been slow in coming. Also it is small, about 20-30 pages, no adds, just great study plans for small wooden boats.

Watercraft is a UK mag. mostly about small wooden boats. Do I sense a trend here.

I have recently made more room in my study, so if any of you wish to store your boat related books I have the space, no charge.

8. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

I may finally have done a good deed recently.

I donated all my back issues of WB, Chassie Marine, ProBuilder, The Boatman( long gone Brit mag), and the others to the San Diego Maritime Museum.

About 25 or so North American size apple boxes full.

Gosh did that open up some room in this place!

9. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Will.....
    Watercraft is a Brit small boat magazine sort of a successor to The Boatman.

10. duluthboats

I also have a large collection of study plans. Wood, metal, GRP, sail, power, modern and traditional. I don’t have that large a variety of boats here so I have to look at lines. I do still have a little wall space for some more prints.

11. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Is being a packrat part of the 'Boat Nut' disease?

Sometimes I feel it is.:rolleyes:

12. duluthboats

Dave, it’s good to hear you found a good home for your stuff.

The worst thing about my addiction is the lack of a local support group. I have to hang out here so I feel normal, and that works, sometimes. :eek:

13. Willallison

LOL! But the bad news Gary, is that if you think that hanging out here makes you normal, you've got even bigger problems than I thought!:D :D Maybe even bigger than MMD's:D ;)

14. mmd

mmd Senior Member

"Maybe even bigger than MMD's "

At risk of sounding like an invader from another forum, the size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it! :D

15. Oyster

Oyster Guest

My wife always told me that the ink runs really bad on boating magazines , if kept around the house longer than one month. I use to carry my Wooden Boat magazines in my truck, for reference, you know. Never had a problem at all, with them.

But on that note, can someone tell me how the ink in Southern Living, McCall's, Redbook, Quilters Delight, and National Geographic lasted longer than in boating magazines in the attic, the loft in the damp garage?:confused:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.