Whats this rumor about epoxy might not be so great at encapsulation after all

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Boston, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I keep catching hints that epoxy might not be the end all beat all for encapsulation after all

whats up with that

some new studies actually get released sayin something about water infiltration or whats the deal

too many builders cheeping out on not enough coats and woods rotting

whats the skinny cause I actually do plan on building something eventually.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

This is your most likely answer.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What "new studies"? The only epoxy studies I've seen in this regard, are those about penetrating epoxies, which aren't waterproof and this has been accepted for many years, though there are many "hold outs" that also still believe the world is flat too, like Larry Pardey who thinks epoxy is just a "fad".

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I've never heard of this. Encapsulation means 3 coats on all surfaces, miss nothing, and do not thin the epoxy. Ive been on the Glen-L forum and this one for years and have never heard anyone say on wood boats it is not the thing to do. I have heard about water infiltration but that is because someone did not cover all areas or there were punctures. I'm assuming all bottoms were fiberglassed also and most had sides and tops fiberglassed using a known and proven supplier and product. You do not need 3 coats under fiberglass because the wet-out will provide more than enough epoxy for a total seal. On mine I intend to get into the hull with a big brush and a gallon of slow hardiner epoxy and coat everything heavy for 3 coats. the 2nd and 3rd applied when the provious coat is still tacky.
    I don't intend be be real neat about it but it will be thorough........

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I suppose I should have worded it
    are some new studies

I"m just curious cause every once in a while I hear something negative about epoxy encapsulation and just thought I'd ask

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

Okay, Bos, We've got a lot (hundreds) of these Renn Tolman skiffs here. (Plywood with epoxy barrier). They never get water in the plywood accept where it is damaged and some of them have been in the water for decades. To me, the problem is that they do get damaged and water gets in the plywood. I would use Shelman plywood with the fungicidal glue and not fret for them but I just don't see a problem otherwise.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Just do not use it for internal lubrication

8. PAR

. . . Oh crap, I'm screwed . . .

9. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Really Boston, is this a serious post?

You have been around here long enough to see lots of questions just like this one. The fact is that epoxy is not 100% moisture impermeable and very few materials are, other than metal. So what. The moisture that does make its way through an epoxy barrier does not mean that the boat will rot and sink in 3 months. Most all fiberglass boats that you see in marinas have a lot of moisture that has permeated through the hull and caused a loss of strength but they don't rot and sink either. I and many here who regularly use epoxy as a barrier coat on wood boats have a long history of such practice and know that, properly applied, epoxy is a superior coating material.

Of course, there are always naysayers around and they jump out of the dark bushes to pounce on such "studies" at every opportunity. The sky is not falling. You can go with those who know or be misled by rumors. I too have seen rot take over boats that were "encapsulated" in epoxy but, in every case, inadequate or faulty use of the product was evident. It ain't perfect and needs proper use to gain the most benefit but, until something better comes along, most of us will gladly take it for what it offers to the longevity of our boats right now.

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Just follow sound practice- epoxy encapsulating a SPF 2x4 will not turn it into a boat building material.

11. PAR

Yes, it will . . .

12. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Yeah- I have to agree though I generally don't pick up my materials at the local home depot..

13. PAR

It may have been more helpful to have just stated that instead, don't you think?

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well I guess that answers that
    lots of pretty spirited defense of epoxy

just checking

reason for just checking might be that the industry doesn't disclose longevity studies concerning epoxy, instead they seem to have this canned answer of "well we have boats that have survived almost 50 years". Which leads me to wonder about the ones that didn't. Anyway after studying my options I'm kinda stuck with epoxy ( no pun intended ) as far as I can see. Best to keep up on the latest though and that means asking dumb questions from time to time. Nice to know the peanut gallery is still on my team.

15. PAR

There are long term trials and environmental impact accelerated testing to look at, if you have specific questions Dan.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.