What would Blondie Hassler design today?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Krauthammer, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Krauthammer

Krauthammer Junior Member

This is quire enticing. What is the best way to design and build a boat along these lines?

2. David Tyler

David Tyler J. R. A. Committee Member

The answer will depend on what skills you have.

1. I can give you, off-forum, contact details for the owner of the sister ship, based in the North of England. I would advise you to go and take a look at her.

2. Tystie can't be considered as a design for amateur building, unless a high level of skill is available. I can give you, off-forum, contact details for David Thomas, who can supply you with .dxf files, or paper copies, of the lines drawing, construction plan, full scale sections to avoid having to loft out, and hydrostatic calculations; on a commercial basis, as with any naval architect. But I drew the accommodation in pencil, while I was cruising in my previous boat, and I could supply you with photocopies, perhaps. Farrow and Chambers, having built the sister ship, could maybe build another, but you'd probably be better advised to find a wooden boat builder in Germany.

3. The rig is a separate issue. Here, only your hands-on skill with carbon fibre and sail-making will get a soft wing sail rig built. There are too many instances of sailors taking designs like this to the professionals, who don't understand them, and turning out unsatisfactory work at an exorbitant price as a result. You would have to collaborate with me and anyone else who is interested enough to get to the workbench and start making things. I can supply drawings of what I think you should do, and what I will do if I can find working facilities, but entirely on an amateur, collaborative basis, not on a professional basis, and not warranting the soundness of my design work.

I'll attach a .dxf file of how Tystie would look with a soft wing ketch rig based on Wortmann fw77w153 section, the safe and sensible option, as I used the geometry before and know I can make it work.

Attached Files:

3. David Tyler

David Tyler J. R. A. Committee Member

I've started a new thread, to discuss cruising wing sails:
    The design of soft wing sails for cruising

4. Krauthammer

Krauthammer Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.