what to power with - 17' 1979 bayliner mutiny?

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by soggyboots, Sep 16, 2010.

1. soggyboots

soggyboots Junior Member

Ok if you had a 17' deep v good shape with volvo 280 outdrive looks to be in good shape ,motor may need to be replaced (blown freeze plug)would you A-just replace the (volvo 130) or would you possibly consider an outboard conversion . Outboard considered only to free up more space in boat . found out board bracket about 750.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Much depends on several factors, mostly surrounding internal structural elements. On an I/O equipped boat, the transom doesn't carry a lot of load, the bottom loading is absorbed directly from the engine bed tabbing and stringers. On an outboard boat, particularly those with larger HP requirements, the transom and stringer arrangements are different. It also depends on the boat manufacture, as many will offer both configurations, which often times have all the structural element in place for either setup.

What year, make and model boat is it? Do you have photos?

3. soggyboots

soggyboots Junior Member

repower

No pictures . It is an older 79 bayliner mutiny . It does appear to be pretty solid 2" thick glass over ply where outdrive bolts through hull in great shape.Ithink a conversion w/outboard would cost pretty much about same . but as you mentioned I would have to do some modifications . I am curious as to how it would make the boat handle with an outboard modification.I was hoping someone had done one of these mods would give me some feed back.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was a good one......:D

Of course you cannot know, you have just found the one.

5. Bglad

Bglad Senior Member

I like the IO better. Other than changing the bellows after three to five years I think the IO is easier to maintain. I believe the Volvo has the raw water pump on the engine so changing the impeller once a season would be easier than the outboard (you have to remove the lower unit). If you put the same IO engine in you will only have to deal with one carburetor versus three or four the outboard will have. I always seem to have what I need in my tool kit to work on the inboard gas engine. The outboard always seems to need something I don't have.

All the preceding is based on keeping the boat on a trailer when not in use. If you plan to keep it in the water the IO loses because the outboard can be tilted clear of the water where it will not suffer the extra wear and tear the IO will.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I tend to agree that keeping the I/O is a more economically sound option, not to mention a whole lot easier too. You have everything you need, just repair it. An engine swap isn't much of a big deal. Cutting stuff off the boat, making a splash well, reinforcing the transom (which is plywood cored, not solid 'glass BTW and likely rotten), installing a bracket (another grand when all is said and done) with it's support issues, then a whole new set of controls, wiring, steering, etc. for an outboard. Yep, it's a lot easier and cheaper to fix what you have.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Its Volvo so you have the choice of getting a chev bell housing then you have plenty of options

8. soggyboots

soggyboots Junior Member

repower

That might be an option .chevy replacement engine . what would be involved in this kind of swap . Oh my volvo block has two carbs . But the chevy replacement say 4.3 v-6 or iron duke 4cyl .I am more familliar with these type of power plants. what about the weight difference ? Is there someplace that list the weight of different power plants. I am not totally apposed to using same power plant i am just not really familiar with volvo 4cyl 130 .This boat was given to me by friend I am really trying to figure out best way to get running for as economical as possible and be able to use the heck out of it w/o too many issues.

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Simplest thing is fix the Volvo, nothing fundmentally wrong with them, simple and run well.
    If you launch into a conversion there will be issues especially depending on the engine you choose.
    Volvo never used the 4 cyl chev so things like the exhaust will need a custom job.
    V6 and V8 would be easier in that regard.
    I would guess the 130 vovo and a 3 cyl Merc are the similar weight. The volvo only has aluminim cyl head.
    Converting to a Chev will also require an engine mounted sea water pump, never seen one on a 4 cyl chev so something else to custom

10. soggyboots

soggyboots Junior Member

repower

Just got a price on remanufactured volvo -$2400. and about 800. to install does this sound about right. I figure i could possibly attempt to install by self but I was hoping to get decent motor for closer to about 1500

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

couldnt comment on the prices but that will be the cheapest and simplest solution

12. soggyboots

soggyboots Junior Member

repower

Think your right . Thank you for the feedback . These are the type of things I needed to hear. Now to get a good manual and remove old power plant. I found manual can be had either on dvd or paperback.Both about same price.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.