what to do with the deck.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Dec 30, 2014.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

it would make a nice panoramic window just need to move that chainplate, unless I can bolt it to the Perspex.:)

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

See, that's the ticket. All you have to do is change you models . . .

3. whitepointer23

par have you read gougeons advice on epoxy filling the deck seams.

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Ha ha that's exactly what I was thinking!

Pity you're not a bit closer, Brendan, I could give you some nice 16mm perspex and weld a custom frame for you.

Shyt happens, the boat is still afloat, hope nothing else bad happens for you.

PDW

5. whitepointer23

Thanks pd. The boats name was fairwinds. I am changing it to Phoenix now.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Wow!
    .... & a slab to take home. That was lucky he came by.
    Very neat job!
    A 10 liter weed sprayer with some h2o might be a wise investment to use at the end of work. Where I'm at we have to spend 30 minutes minimum cool down time & use an IR thermometer around the area, thats mostly on steel repairs but the risks are similar.
    Jeff

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Yeah, extremely lucky, most people these days would just point their I-phone at it, not a hose or bucket of water.

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Epoxy filling the deck seams is for a veneer deck, not a timber deck. Epoxy filling the seams is a nightmare on decks with camber athwart ships ,fore and aft or any seams lines affected by gravity because all the goo self levels or runs downhill.
    Even tube squeeze caulking is camber sensitive but it is much easier to deal by using thick foam tape on the leeward...down hill side of the seam..to allow self leveling and a complete seam fill.

9. whitepointer23

Good idea. I have a big sprayer. I actually waited for half an hour before I left and could not smell smoke anywhere. Next time I am staying the night to make sure. Good excuse to drink a few beers while I sit there.

10. whitepointer23

Bugger. I thought there was a fire extinguisher app.;)

11. whitepointer23

The west system site shows it as a way of repairing a plank deck not veneer.

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

By veneer I mean the thickness of the plank. A plank over ply deck is considered a veneer deck. How thick the veneer can be is a good question. A thick deck moves, swells and shrinks. The epoxy doesnt move...it will crack or pull apart the wood. Best to check with a pro concerning the maximum plank thickness permitted for epoxy seams. Ive always been told the 8mm it the maximium permitted for epoxy seams

13. whitepointer23

I know what you are saying . Thats the reason I asked. None of you have mentioned that method before. I must have read it wrong.

14. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I agree,
    We use epoxy seams occassionally for fit out work internally, ply substrate & 6mm or less, we dont buy the graphite powder from west either, just some black concrete ochre... & bust out the bubbles with a heat gun before setup.
    The Gouging bros firm very good marketers & promotors of glued methods & great boats come out of the system, they didn't invent everything however;)

Jeff.

15. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I have three Sons, all tech savvy, (there prolly is an app) two work part time at a petrol station, a while back, one night the eldest puts out a car on fire at the pumps, week or so later parents firms "safety" investigator turns up, gives him the third degree, tells him he wasn't qualified to operate the appliance(which he had trained for) & that he should be billed for the service & recharge.. eldest stands up... asks... "Buddy" do you know this is a PETROL station, those things are not red ****ing wall ornaments & if you want to bill me go ahead, that'll be great to watch on "a Current Affair" next week.
    The joker pulled his head in & dad proud as.....

Jeff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.