Butyl Tape?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by dharmakatra, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dharmakatra

dharmakatra New Member

I am new to DIY your own boat thing. But want to try to do something new with my down time. I have Been wanting to do some retrofitting for my ports for awhile and been looking online left and right for the proper way. I was just going to use some sealant specially used for yacht but some posts online is making me think twice. There are mentions of butyl tape that I can buy in RV shops that is better for the boat and offers better water protection. Anyone ever use this product before? Does it really work? Thanks

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Butyl tape is tar like, and is used for vacuum infusion for sealing the air bags air-tight. It never becomes hard and is super tachy. Sticks to everything and can be cleaned with laquer thinners which seems to dissolves it.

During a recent hail storm I saw the ice (coldness) stiffened the butyl tape, and when hit by the hail it shattered.

3. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Butyl tape is used almost universally on RV windows & door frames. My uncle had a 1920's vintage Ford Model T that used it on the windows and when I last saw it in the late 90's the stuff was still like new. I intend to use it to seal my portlights.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.