What is the Easiest Boat Building Method for One Person?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, Sep 29, 2010.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Buy big blocks of foam, a chain saw, and a chopper gun. Always want to try that....

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Strip planking IMHO.. It took me 200h for a 33' hull, and it included sawing the 2"x5" timber to strips (meanwhile the epoxy in the previous strips sets). One day extra for every layer of BIAX, some help might be handy in this stage, no special skills needed just able to count to ten and do some stirring...

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Foam and 'glass, well it's possible to do single handed, but it's about as painful a method as you could want. Fairing and smoothing a 'glass hull has to be about one of the most unlikable tasks you could ask for.

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

This question is unclear. What is the maximum size part or sub-assembly do you think can be handled by a single person?

Can you build a 45 foot boat with no part being larger than 10 ft and no heavier than 100 lbs? What are the practical limits?

The only solution I can think of is to just to BUILD A SMALLER BOAT!

5. wardd

wardd Senior Member

there is no physical law that says one person couldn't build an aircraft carrier, given the time

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I recently hung full length lapstrake planking for a 26' power cruiser, by myself, but this wasn't my first rodeo.

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I put planks on frame for a 26' Cedar boat all by myself.
    If you make 'helpers' out of scrap lumber, things like that will help a lot.

I used scrap lumber to make a set of "wheels" from the Keel up to the Gunnl's and rolled it over using the bumper hitch on my Car.

No fiberglass, Putty or caulk in the whole boat.
    Just Pine tar and Cotton, and hammerd all that stuff into place with those four special tools for that and a Mallet.

If I ever did something like that again I'd use board and batten but still Use Pine tar instead of Fiber glass or epoxy.

8. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

9. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Exactly. This does clarify my question.

The Kurt Hughes Cylinder Mold method required me to move 48' (16m) x 8' (2.5m) curved pieces of plywood approximately 12mm thick, weighing around 600lbs (280Kg). I had to move these things a dozen times. Later, it involved rolling hulls, lifting a large bridgedeck into place, etc...

It also required teams to pour the keels, install the bulkheads and stringers, etc...

So... it was not possible for me to build my boat myself.

I was after exactly what you said above... what method can be done by one person, physically?

Building a smaller boat is a cop out and a BS answer. The size of a boat is determined by your needs on the water. You wouldn't even be building a boat (unless you're really into building boats) if you didn't have an exact spec to deliver at the end of the project. a 45' boat is the size boat I need for work. That's what I need to have.

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

"What is the Easiest Boat Building Method for One Person?"

Writing a cheque.

-Tom

11. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Ha ha ha! I'm with you,Tom! :) That's what I'm doing right now.

12. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

Check out the scrumble project. Mostly one person...good build thread.

13. wardd

wardd Senior Member

there is no physical reason one person couldn't build a super aircraft carrier, given enough time and resources

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Any method can work depending on your skills. I can turn any boat alone with enough tackle, levers and wedges. More people may help, but are not necessary.

15. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yah...plank or ply on frame with mechanical fasteners and little epoxy is the easiest for one person...all the pieces are one man size , you work away one piece at a time , to a relaxed timeline..

The really difficult builds involve foam, fiberglass and resin. A real mess , total sensory assault, with big pieces , sweat dripping off your nose as you scramble to work in phase with the resin cure as your vacume bag hisses and way to much grinder time and sandpaper pushing in between. One mistake with a resin boat and big problem .

One mistake with a plank on frame and well... live and learn bonehead...just do the piece again.

Classic lapstrake construction must be the easiest and most pleasant of all build methods. Very little sanding, very little epoxy mixing, no scratching your nose with rubber gloves and plenty of tool time, fun time, boatbuilding

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.