What is the Bayliner 2556 waterline length?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by David Swingler, May 1, 2024.

1. David Swingler

David Swingler Junior Member

I have been trying to figure out what the true hull speed is for a 25, my guess is that it's somewhere around 6.3 kts, but does anyone know what the actual waterline length is?

2. mudsailor

mudsailor Junior Member

Begs the question why…..
    And 6.3 is probably a bit high……but again why?

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

25 is loa I’d say

Take the bow and lay a plumb line off and measure back to the waterline. wild guess is 23’ based on pictures

@mudsailor brings a good point

for a planing hull, running at 6kts is gonna be pretty inefficient, in case you think otherwise

I don’t claim the best expertise on the subject. My understanding is hull speed is important for displacement vessels, not planing hulls. For a planing hull; the efficiency happens out of the hole or barely movin.

bajansailor likes this.
  4. David Swingler

thanks for the input! i mostly agree for a plaining boat, however im the crazy guy who is considering converting it to outboard Yes a 25-50hp Yamaha large prop and run about 6 kts getting hopefully at least 4mpg

willy13 likes this.
  5. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

David it is an inefficient hull for your requirements, but you obviously have your reasons.

Not the hugest fan of outboards on transom brackets, however wondering if it's feasible to mount the outboard behind the sterndrive leg so that either engine could be used?

You could tee off the existing fuel filter out to the outboard, but use ball valves to isolate the non running one. Steering would be hydraulic with three way ball valves (or solenoid valves) and it would need separate throttle & shift control, maybe electric.

6. David Swingler

Thanks, ya its a cool idea; I'll think it over

7. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

A 9.9hp high thrust is common on go fast fishing boats your size (trolling and get home safe). From reading posts over the years it seems 10 hp will push them to hull speed at or near WOT. So assuming the 1 gal of fuel per hour per 10 hp at WOT is correct, you should see 6mpg with an ineffecient hull as these fishing boats are similar in hull type as yours. This is just my guesstimate.

8. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I’d go a bit higher than 10hp. You want a bigger prop for better weather helm.

9. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

The fishermen in my area all seem to have 9.9 high thrust outboards for trolling and as a get home motor. If it is your only engine I would go a little higher in hp. Maybe 15 to 20 hp. Bayliner does have some older models that were semi-displacement hull shapes. Look for 2670, 2270 and 2260. Some of those owners have converted to high thrust outboards in the 25 hp to 50 hp range.

10. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

yeah get bigger than 10 hp, only used 10 hp to estimate mpg and show that your 4 mpg is probably attainable. A high thrust 25hp might be perfect .

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

That's what I have on my 18 foot Sea Ray. A high thrust 9.9. My speedometer doesn't even register anything under 10 mph, and the 9.9 does not push it past the 10 mph. So I assume it's running around 9-10 mph. It's great for trolling. It can throttle down to about 2 mph which is a good trolling speed. On a 25ft boat it would probably go 7-8 mph. Just guessing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.